Q. Hydroquinone usage results in black armpits. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam

I had a fungal infection in both armpits for some days due to Hydroquinone's usage suggested by a doctor. Now both my armpits turned black. Kindly help me to turn them white.

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from the blackening of both armpits. You had fungal infections in both armpits. After using Hydroquinone, both your armpits have turned black.

For your fungal infections, you had to use antifungal creams. Hydroquinone is used to lighten the dark patches of skin or hyperpigmentation or melasma caused by pregnancy, birth control pills, hormone medications, or injury to the skin. Hydroquinone blocks the process, which leads to discoloration in the skin.

But, according to your description, your armpits have turned black after using Hydroquinone. Am I right? According to the picture that is provided here, you may suffer from melasma due to the overproduction of melanin. You can use Hydrocortisone cream twice daily on your affected area along with taking Vitamin C supplements orally.

You provided a picture of your armpit (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and it is difficult to download. What is the condition of your other armpit?

Yes, because of Hydroquinone, I got an infection, and my armpit turned black. I used antifungal cream and now free of fungal infection. So I want to lighten my arms. I am terrified to use Hydroquinone where it caused to peel my skin in the armpit area and causes redness and burning. The next armpit is also in the same condition.

#

Do not use Hydroquinone in your lifetime. Your blackening of the skin and other symptoms like the peeling of the skin, irritation, burning, redness, etc., may result from allergic reactions to Hydroquinone.

According to the pictures provided here (attachment removed to protect patient identity), your armpit on the second picture is more affected than the first picture. Hopefully, applying Hydrocortisone cream twice daily on your affected area will subside your blackening of the skin.

You can take a vitamin C supplement twice daily along with Hydrocortisone cream. If you are still suffering from irritation or burning the skin in the armpit, you can take Fexofenadine for 7-10 days.

|