Q. Is staying indoor a cause for social anxiety?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Oct 09, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 12, 2019

Does staying indoors excessively cause social anxiety?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Staying indoors excessively does not directly cause social anxiety. It is possible that having social anxiety will prevent you from going out more, which in turn makes anxiety more prominent. Talk to your parents and family about your anxiety so that they can understand and support you. Are you able to manage to go to school or college? Try going out regularly. Avoidance does not help. Regular exposure to anxiety-provoking situations will help to treat anxiety.

Exercise regularly. It will lower stress and improve your confidence. Practice deep breathing techniques and progressive muscle relaxation exercises for about 20 to 30 minutes daily. If anxiety is more generalized and severe, consult a doctor for an assessment. Counseling can be beneficial.

I have problem of anxiety and sweating when I face a crowd. Please help me out.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 28 years old. I am suffering from social anxiety. Some years back, I joined as a lecturer. After some days, when I start teaching the students and if they do not understand what I am teaching, I feel profuse sweating in arms and face. So, I get very shy. I left the job now. I consi...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You may indeed have a social anxiety disorder. You need to build up confidence in yourself. Start talking with yourself by looking at a mirror with eye to eye contact. Talk with a new person daily, just small talk like hi or hello. Start doing exercise daily. Go for ...  Read Full

What can be done for anxiety while in crowd?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old and weigh 90 kg. My problem is anxiety. I feel anxious whenever I have to deal with my boss, attend a meeting, speak in front of a crowd. I feel breathlessness and discomfort. My voice starts to break. I am doing well at my job and recently got a promotion. However, ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aneel Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your history reflects social anxiety disorder but that needs detailed assessment. You need medication as well as psychotherapy session, medications are required to control the symptoms but medications has some limitations like it would not change your personality, think...  Read Full

Can stress inhibit brain development in children?

Query: Hi doctor, I read that great stress will cause brain development inhibition in children. Can this be caught up through something? Is this permanent?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shubham Mehta

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Great amount of stress in children does affect brain development. As the brain develops till the age of 18 years, stress can affect the development. Stress can, in general, affect the functioning of the body, hormonal balance, and immunity levels as well. If the str...  Read Full