Q. I have sore throat with hard time swallowing and eating. How to get cured?

Dr. S D Sinha

Hi. I have sore throat for 2 days now and every afternoon, i feel cold. Last night I had a slight fever. I am using bactidol for gargle twice a day and paracetamol and so far it helps. It soothes my throat and i think the pain lessen. But this morning, my throat is still painful, I am having a hard time swallowing and eating. I am unable to report to work last night because I am not feeling well. I might need a prescription to buy meds, also need a medcert. Age: 23 yrs old Sex: female Height: 5'3 Weight: 54 kg

#

Thanks for your query Your symptom appear to be that if an upper respiratory tract infection., possibly viral or bacterial. In such a case its best to test, considering the season and pandemic.

Viral (influenza, RSV, SARSCOV2), Bacterial (Pneumococcal, Staphylococcal etc.)

Investigations-
1. Throat and nasal swab- bacterial culture and sensitivity, Viral tests including SARSCOV2 (RT-PCR based antigen detection), flu viruses, RSV if any
2. Blood- CBC, ESR, CRP, LDH, IL-6, Serum ferritin, SGOT, SGPT, Serum creatinine
3. Radiology- X-ray chest/ CT scan chest

SARS COV2 (COVID19)

Influenza

Rx
A) Tablet Vitamin C (1 tablet=500mg) 1 tab twice daily for 15 days
B) Tablet (Zinc 50mg) 1 tablet twice daily for 15 days
C) Capsule Vitamin D3 (1 cap=60,000 IU) 1 capsule once a week for 4 weeks
D) Tablet Paracetamol (1 tablet=650mg) 1 tablet thrice daily for 5 days

Preventive Measures-
1. Lifestyle measures- Warm water, saline gargles, steam inhalation twice daily, lukeWarm water drinking throughout the day.
2. Nutrition--High protein diet plus vegetables and fruits.

Test reports to be evaluated. Take care.

|