Q. My stomach pain is radiating to my back and vomitus is yellow in color. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 15, 2020

My sister is having severe stomach ache and yellow vomiting and the pain goes around her abdomen to the back. She is suffering from this pain for the past one week. Please help.

#

I can imagine you must be very upset about your sister. And I really feel sorry that she is in pain for a week's time.

Well, the pain you mention that is severe and radiating to back is suggestive of pancreatitis. However, the possibility of peptic ulcers cannot be completely ruled out.

Ideally, the pancreatitis that is inflammation of the pancreas (a gland at the back of tummy) should be managed in the hospital. However, the pain of ulcers (peptic ulcers) in the stomach and small bowel can be managed at home. But before making a diagnosis it is required that you provide further history about her pain.

Did she have this before? And if yes, how long it last? Did she frequently have heartburn or acidity issues? Is she on some medications right now? You mentioned her age, what is her marital status? Did she have fever? or yellowish eyes? or dark yellow eyes? You mention she has yellowish vomiting, but is she able to take orally or she is throwing up everything like water or food that you give to her?

You see all this information can help us to decide the most probable cause of the underlying pain and consider some treatment to see the response.

For time being, you can give her capsule Esomeprazole 4o mg now and half hour before meals. Expect the reduction in pain if it is due to peptic ulcer disease. The pain of pancreatitis will not settle with this capsule. If she is unable to take orally, then you can visit a nearby nursing clinic and get IV Omeprazole 40 mg.

Pancreatitis. Peptic ulcer disease.

Complete blood count. Serum amylase and lipase. Liver function tests. Urine detailed report.
Ultrasound abdomen.

Follow up to discuss after investigation, or earlier before getting tested, if you have more concerns.

| 

Related Video

How can I manage the stomach pain present below the breast on the left side?

Query: Hi doctor, I have stomach pain below the breast on the left side with difficulty in depositing waste. I also get a fever during the early morning. Please help.  Read Full »

Can vomiting cause eye pain and bruising?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend started vomiting last night and I noticed that his eyelids were red and bruised. Is there something else besides the vomiting that could have caused the bruised eyelids?  Read Full »

I developed pancreatitis. Do i have chronic pancreatitis ?

Query: Hello Doctor, I developed pancreatic disease. I have been worsening the condition by taking the triggers (heavy food and alcohol). Last April and July I could manage with a strict diet to bring the inflammation and enzyme levels down. I am maintaining a low fat diet and I have reduced the amount ...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»