iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersMedical Gastroenterologystomach painMy stomach pain is severe and it moves to the back. What could cause this type of pain?

My stomach pain is radiating to my back and vomitus is yellow in color. Please help.

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Answered by

Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Medically reviewed by

Dr. Vinodhini J.

Published At June 19, 2020
Reviewed AtAugust 13, 2023

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

My sister is having severe stomach ache and yellow vomiting and the pain goes around her abdomen to the back. She is suffering from this pain for the past one week. Please help.

Answered by Dr. Ajeet Kumar


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can imagine you must be very upset about your sister. And I really feel sorry that she is in pain for a week's time.

Well, the pain you mention that is severe and radiating to back is suggestive of pancreatitis. However, the possibility of peptic ulcers cannot be completely ruled out.

Ideally, the pancreatitis that is inflammation of the pancreas (a gland at the back of tummy) should be managed in the hospital. However, the pain of ulcers (peptic ulcers) in the stomach and small bowel can be managed at home. But before making a diagnosis it is required that you provide further history about her pain.

Did she have this before? And if yes, how long it last? Did she frequently have heartburn or acidity issues? Is she on some medications right now? You mentioned her age, what is her marital status? Did she have fever? or yellowish eyes? or dark yellow eyes? You mention she has yellowish vomiting, but is she able to take orally or she is throwing up everything like water or food that you give to her?

You see all this information can help us to decide the most probable cause of the underlying pain and consider some treatment to see the response.

For time being, you can give her capsule Esomeprazole 4o mg now and half hour before meals. Expect the reduction in pain if it is due to peptic ulcer disease. The pain of pancreatitis will not settle with this capsule. If she is unable to take orally, then you can visit a nearby nursing clinic and get IV Omeprazole 40 mg (proton pump inhibitor).

The Probable causes

Pancreatitis. Peptic ulcer disease.

Investigations to be done

Complete blood count. Serum amylase and lipase. Liver function tests. Urine detailed report. Ultrasound abdomen.

Regarding follow up

Follow up to discuss after investigation, or earlier before getting tested, if you have more concerns.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ajeet Kumar
Dr. Ajeet Kumar

Medical Gastroenterology

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Medical Gastroenterology

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy