Q. Are my current symptoms related to stroke?

Dr. Aida Abaz Quka
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have a previous history of stroke, and recently also I had a stroke. Hypoplasia of p1 and s1 along with PAVM. I have migraines and now a loss of memory, hesitation in speech, vision changes.

#

I understand your concern and recommend performing a brain MRI to exclude a new possible stroke.

In the meantime, I recommend taking Piracetam and Donepezil to help improve your vision and memory problems and speech.

It is also necessary to continue taking blood thinners to help prevent future strokes.

I hope you will find this information helpful.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions whenever you need them.

Wishing you all the best.

The last stroke was three weeks ago. I have an appointment today was just curious about the relationship between angio and strokes before I see this new neurologist. I like to be prepared.

#

I understand your concern and would recommend discussing with your neurologist about the blood flow in other arteries like MCA and vertebral arteries.

If the blood flow is normal in these arteries, there is no reason to panic, as the P1 hypoplasia is a born variation of brain vessels.

I would recommend taking antiplatelet therapy to prevent future strokes and a statin.

Have you checked your heart? You may need to perform an ambulatory 24 to 48 hours ECG Holter monitoring in order to exclude possible cardiac arrhythmia, which may cause blood clots to the brain too.

Where is the stroke located?

Regarding migraine, I do not think that it is related to the stroke. But I would recommend taking verapamil to help prevent migraine headaches.

Donepezil would help with speech and memory problems.

You should discuss with your doctor the above treatment options and tests.

We wish you all the best.

|