Q. I have swelling and pain in the penis after having sex for the first time. Is it normal?

Published on Jan 06, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 23, 2019

After I had sex for the first time, there is a piece of skin on the side of the penis. Is it normal? It is very sensitive and uncomfortable. I have attached a picture.

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• Though the picture is not very clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that it is normal. If there is any swelling or tenderness over that area, visit a doctor for help. If not, there is nothing to worry.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

Thanks for the reply. I have attached a clearer picture. It is paining and uncomfortable. Does the swollen part under the head look worrisome?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

• If there is pain or tenderness, you should visit a surgeon immediately. The swelling is clearly visible. This probably happened because of a tight foreskin or phimosis and the skin not going back to its normal position.
  • You have probably developed paraphimosis. This is a surgical condition. Though it is not very serious, an immediate treatment is needed where a manual repositioning of the foreskin will be done.
  • Take good pain killers like Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling, if you are not allergic to pain killers and visit a surgeon immediately.

For more information consult a sexologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

| 

I have small red rashes on my glans penis. What could be the cause?

Query: Hi doctor, I have small red rashes on my glans penis. It started as a small blister. When cleaned, it peeled like skin. However, if it is not cleaned, white discharge gets in and around the site. I am not taking any kind of medications.  Read Full »

Why are there red rashes on my glans penis?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex three months ago. I had all the tests except herpes done and all were negative. About every one to two weeks since the encounter, I have been getting red rashes and red small dots all over my glans penis and foreskin. They are not raised, they do not itch. They a...  Read Full »

Why do I feel pain when trying to open the foreskin?

Query: Hello doctor, My penis foreskin does not open softly. If I try opening, I feel pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Ask a Sexologist Now