Q. What causes throat pain with breathing difficulty?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 14, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 01, 2020

I have an issue. I am feeling pain in the throat on either sides. More than throat, it is neck, lower neck, not midline, on either side no pain on swallowing but I have to take some deep breaths occasionally.

#

The most common reason of having these symptoms can definelty be a feature of chronic silent GERD with LPR (gastroesophageal reflux with laryngopharngeal reflux). Even though you might asymptomatic as far as gastric issues are concerned, the inflammation in the throat often exists in the hidden form and can resurface when adequate care is not taken.

Now, why does hidden acid reflux become so problematic? As you know the stomach usually has got cells which release hydrochloric acid and thus keep the gastric environment acidic in nature. Your entire mucosal lining from the mouth throat and food pipe (oesophagus) is not meant to handle any thing acidic. Of the three structures the throat is the most sensitive due to its rich nerve supply. If in a given situation, your mouth, throat or food pipe chronically comes in contact with acidic contents, an inflammation starts which the body initially takes care of, but once this compensation wears out, you start developing symptoms that you have mentioned.

Please try to follow the advice mentioned below:

1. Maintain a strict diet, eating on time

2. avoid spicy oily and cold food/drinks.

3. Keep a gap of 2 hrs between meals and going to bed

4. Don't over eat, rather keep your stomach half empty and have regular intermittent light food like fresh cut fruits in between major meals.

5. Salt water gargling 8 to 10 times a day for 15 days.

6. Avoid alcohol and smoking as it can potentiate reflux.

Tablet Pan D 40 mg (or its equivalent) once in the morning before breakfast for 1 month. Syrup mucaine gel (or its equivalent) 1 teaspoon three times a day 20 minutes before meals for 1 month. Make sure you follow the precautionary measures as much as possible as mere medications will not fetch long term relief. This typically takes 2 to 3 weeks for things to normalize and for symptoms to subside. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this is a treatable entitity and things will be fine in few weeks duration.

It sometimes leads to some discomfort in the ears also and I feel somehow it is related to the problem in the throat and neck region. One in the ears is not very serious and happens for a few minutes ocassionally but is it related? Another doubt I have is if the respiratory issue associated with this is going to be long lasting or is it reversible?

#

Wonderful to hear from you again.

The throat and the middle ear promontory share the same nerve supply: the glossopharyngeal nerve or the 9th cranial nerve. If you go deep into the anatomy, you will see that the branch of the glossopharyngeal nerve supplying the middle ear compartment is called the jacobsons nerve.

This is the reason why sometimes the discomfort is often referred to the ear when there is nothing as such related to it. The respiratory issue is purely due to gerd and lpr which causes sudden spasm of the laryngeal musculature and that is why you suddenly feel your out of breath or feel there is some kind of tightness in your chest. It is definitely a reversible entity and things should come back to normal once measures discussed earlier are followed for as long as possible. As i mentioned earlier, this entity typically takes a while to improve but at the same time you should also note that things can back to square one much faster than it took to heal. This is the reason why we usually advice patients to maintain the modified changes in lifestyle for as long as possible and not keep a time frame. I personally dont like giving medications for a very long time considering its side effects however small or negligible it might be.

| 

Why do I wake after sleeping with high heart rate and breathing problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I nearly wake up every night two to three hours after I go to bed. Symptoms are high heart rate (150 to 170) and breathing problems. My heart has been diagnosed and today I got an X-ray of my lung. What I think is strange. I only wake up, when I lie on my right side. I never woke up w...  Read Full »

I have throat pain. What do I do?

Query: Hi, My age is 29 years. Yesterday I drank ice cold water in the afternoon. Since today morning I am feeling pain in the throat, body pain and laziness. Please suggest medicine for the same.  Read Full »

Why am I having breathing problems accompanied by warmth in the body?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having problem in breathing sometimes and the body gets warm. Kindly help me with it.  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»