Q. My skin is black with round itchy patches near the butt. Kindly help me.

Dr. Sneha Mariam Varghese

My skin is black with round patches near the butt. Patches grow fast and itch a lot. What to do?

#

I can understand your concern. From your history and photo, (attachment removed to protect patient identity) it looks like a fungal infection (Tinea Corporis). There is no need to panic. You can apply Luliconazole cream for local application twice daily on the lesion. Use Ketoconazole soap for bathing. You can take Terbinafine 250 mg once daily at night for two weeks and tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily in the night for a week.

Follow these medications and know whether you are allergic to these medications and your liver function test are normal before taking them. Kindly review after two weeks. Keep the area always dry and always sun dry your clothes. Try to iron your clothes before wearing them to kill the fungal molds. Do not share your personal items with others. Hope your query is cleared. Thank you and take care.

Tinea Corporis

You can use Luliconazole cream for local application twice daily on the lesion. Use Ketoconazole soap for bath. Take tablet Terbinafine 250 mg once daily at night for two weeks. Take tablet Cetirizine 10 mg once daily in the night for a week

Try these medications if you do not have allergy to these medications and when your liver function test are normal.

Kindly review after two weeks

You can also follow these measures. Keep the area always dry. Always sun dry your clothes. Iron the clothes before wearing them to kill the fungal molds. Do not share your personal items with others.

Kindly review after two weeks

Terbinafine causes chest pain on the left side. Kindly suggest an alternative option.

#

Please consult a cardiologist to follow the cardiac condition. Oral anti-fungal, (although not common with such a low dose) can very rarely cause heart rhythm changes. It is necessary to consult a cardiologist on the safety of taking oral antifungal drugs and so that, I can be able to prescribe another. Stop taking tablet Terbinafine as you experienced chest pain. Continue with the topical and the soap. Thank you and take care.

|