Q. I had a burning sensation in my tongue with small blisters that vanished on their own. What is the reason?

Answered by
Dr. Sagar Ramesh Makode
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 14, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am experiencing constant pain or burning sensation for the last 2-3 months in my tongue. There were a couple of very small blisters of 1 mm, but they vanished on their own. I am a teetotaler. In fact, I do not even have tea coffee. I went through a hernia surgery seven months back. And now I thought of taking this seriously since it is not going away. The pain or burning sensation is not severe but constant, and it is in two specific spots and not all of the tongue. I have been having 3 glasses of warm water in the morning with lemon and organic honey for the last 10 years now. I fail to understand the cause. My stools are normal, no gastro problem, sugar is 85 mg/dL as you can see in the report, there is no diabetes. Blood pressure is 90-140 mm Hg. I am sending you a dated blood report since this condition pre-existed the report generation date. I have got RT-PCR done last to last week, which was negative. Please advice.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Your reports are largely fine (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) except low Vitamin D. So you should take supplements for it like Tablet Uprise D3 (Colecalciferol) 60,000 units or Calcirol sachet (Colecalciferol) once a week for 8 weeks with milk if you are not already taking those. Regarding the oral thing, do you still have an ulcer or lesions at the site of pain, or are there any ill-fitting dentures or sharp tooth, which might be irritating the skin? I guess you do not have gastric problems or constipation. Usually, aphthous ulcers do not cause pain once they have healed. So we should search for some other cause in the case. Now to determine the cause, it is important to get yourself examined by a local ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor to rule out the possibility of other lesions. However, if you feel there is an ulcer (or even otherwise) there, then you can try using an Oragesic solution (contains Lignocaine + Choline salicylate + Benzalkonium) two to three times a day and Capsule Becosules once a day for a week or two. Simultaneously it should be examined by a local ENT doctor to be sure as it is quite long-standing. I hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Can vitamin deficiency cause muscle twitching?

It showed that I have a severe vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiency ... My vitamin B12 was around 50 ng/L ...   Read full

Vitamin-D Deficiency and Rickets In Children

It requires simple investigations and supplementation of vitamin D and calcium ... Causes It occurs mostly due to vitamin D deficiency ...   Read full

Preventing Constipation Naturally

  Make sure to chew your food properly, and avoid drinking water intermittently while eating ... Avoid frequent use of purgatives/ laxatives ... Follow these steps and stay away from ...   Read full


This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

7 Days COVID Care
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Frequently Asked Questions About COVID-19 Vaccines
COVID-19 vaccines can be a real lifesaver. Read this to know the answers to the common questions and doubts on COVID-19 ...  Read more»
Female Sexual Arousal Disorder: Break the Shackles and Seek Help!!
This article throws light on Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder, a common but least discussed sexual health topic a...  Read more»
Covaxin Vs Covishield
The coronavirus vaccines, Covaxin and Covishield, have received a green signal for restricted emergency use in India. In...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.