High Blood Sugar Level

Can glucose monitor value and HbA1c differ?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from diabetes for the past 20 years. He is using Apidra (20 units in the morning and 14 units in the evening), Lantus (20 units in the morning) Insulin injections and Cyblex MV 40.2 mg twice a day. He regularly checks his blood sugar level using glucose monito...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diabetic medications followed by your father have controlled his blood sugar level in the range of 90 to 130 mg/dL. The reading shown by the glucose monitor is the current value during the time of check, but HbA1c always denotes the control of sugar level over two ...  Read Full »

How to help my diabetic father get his appetite back?

Query: hello my father who is 62yrs old has diabetes type 2.. Recently, he started not feeling well. He has stopped eating, basically doesn't want to eat or drink anything. He's been like this refusing food for about 4 days now. His blood sugar is anywhere around 250-380 even though he isn't eating anythin...  Read Full »

Dr. Rinku Biswas

Pharmacologist, Family Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, The mentioned sugar levels are too high. The medication dosage is not mentioned. Only Metformin doesn't work for such high levels. He might need insulin too initially to control the levels and then eventually can be on pills depending upon the condition and thorough follow up. Please don't ign...  Read Full »

What causes the blood sugar to go up randomly during the day?

Query: Hello, I have been a diabetic for about 20 years. My recent A1c is 6.4. From last few days, I have been noticing that my fasting sugar readings are really high like 140-180. There have been no changes in the diet. Interestingly enough, within 1-2 hours it goes up by another 20 points without ...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi Thanks for your query It’s good to see ur sugars are good with HBA1c 6.4. Blood sugars go up and down not only with meals but there are many other factors associated as well like other Harmon levels in the body. For example if ur stressed mentally or excited ur cortisol and catecholamines...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to increase the dose and duration of Trajenta for high blood sugar?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a diabetic. One month back I used to drink alcohol about 350 ml every night and in the morning I take one tablet of Trajenta. Since I have stopped drinking, I feel to eat some sweet and I do eat some ice cream once a day or a Bournvita milk. When I check my sugar randomly now on ...  Read Full »

Dr. Nadeem Abootty

Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, I could understand that you are suffering from uncontrolled type 2 diabetes for one month. Usually, uncontrolled blood sugars may not initially show symptoms, that does not mean it is safe to have high blood sugars for a long time. We are controlling su...  Read Full »

My blood sugar level is high though on medication. Please suggest on how to control it.

Query: Hi doctor, I need a consultation on my diabetes. My fasting plasma glucose is 226 mg/dL and in PP it is 390 mg/dL. I am currently on Diamicron MR, Volix 0.3, and Novomix pen 30/70. Please suggest.  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your sugar is uncontrolled and Vitamin D is low as well. You did not tell how much you are using Diamicron, Volix and Novomix. Please let me know the doses. Another thing is you should get checked urine albumin creatinine ratio and I think you may need a change in medi...  Read Full »

Kindly advise on diabetic diet to bring down post prandial reading.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes and my reading before fasting is 165 and after fasting is 325. I am taking Glycomet 250 three times a day and taking diabetes tablet once a day. Can you kindly advise on the diet to bring the after fasting reading down?  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You need to first stop all sugars and sugar drinks. Fruits to be taken as a sweet fish only. Especially grapes, mango, and banana should be cut down. Many people think it is fine to eat bread rice or pasta but if you see deeply one bread of about 30-50 grams contains a...  Read Full »

Can high cholesterol cause high blood sugar?

Query: Hello doctor, I found in my test report with high mentioned below. Bilirubin total 1.4 H mg/dl Triglycerides 251 H mg/dl 0.0-150.0 LDL cholesterol 108 H mg/dl < 100 VLDL cholesterol 50.2 H mg/dl < 40 Cholesterol /HDL ratio 5.28 H - 0.0-5.0 Fasting blood sugar (Hexokinase) 126 H mg/dl 70...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Abnormal reports are one is lipid profile, you are having hyperlipidemia and secondly, blood sugars which are just in a diabetic range. Bold figures are not necessarily abnormal and slight variation is acceptable. Get one ECG (electrocardiography) done as well. You ...  Read Full »

My FBS is 271, and PPBS is 475. Do I have to take Insulin?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 70 year old female. My weight is 60 kg. I am a known case of NIDDM. I am on Glimepiride 4 mg bid and Repaglinide bid. But, my FBS is 271 and PPBS is 457. Is there any solution to lower my sugar without Insulin? For me Insulin was already prescribed, but still I have not started.  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Criticalcare Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner, Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your blood sugar levels are very high. You have to get started on Insulin as it is the best way to reduce blood sugar. Insulin production in our body is decreased, so we are just replacing that from outside. You are already on two oral anti-diabetic drugs which are hig...  Read Full »

Please explain my mother's medical report.

Query: Hello doctor, I want a medical opinion for my mother who is diabetic for the last 26 years. Please guide.  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiologist, Criticalcare Physician, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please upload any medical record of your mother, only recent ones about two months old only. Also, go for her blood sugar levels right now and tell me what her blood pressure status is? Is she suffering from any other diseases? Revert back with the reports and...  Read Full »

How to reduce PP blood sugar level of 174?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 65 year old male. Before 12 years, I went for my first master checkup without symptoms. The result showed high 2 hours PPBG while FBG and A1c are normal. The consultant physician advised me to eat less at a time and increase the number of feeds in a day and encouraged me to check ...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. On going through the details provided, it is clear that you are in a prediabetes situation. Following are the criteria for diagnosing diabetes: Normal: Fasting blood glucose (FBG) 70 to 110 mg, PP less than 140 mg and HbA1c% less than 5.9. Prediabetes: FBG 108 to...  Read Full »