High Blood Sugar Level

Can I take medicine for a few days to normalize the sugar level with exercise?

Query: I have my fasting blood sugar 133 and pp 175. Can I take medicine for few days to normalise the sugar level with exercise? When I take low food, sugar level is not so high, but if I take some Sugar candy or high carb food then sugar suddenly rise then after 2 hour it comes to 175.  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi. Good day. Thanks for your query . U have already diabetes because ur fasting sugar is more than 126. Just taking medications for few days will not solve the issue. Diabetes is defined as blood sugar of over 7 or 126 when fasting 6-8 hours Blood sugar of 11.1 or 200 after 2 hours of eating i...  Read Full »

Does my mother need Insulin to lower sugar levels?

Query: My mother aged 63, has sugar with 190 fasting and PP 330 (after food) in test. Is it ok or she has to go for insulin. She is using metformin 850mg. Past few she is facing dizziness. Due to covid 19 i cant take her out to doctor because my street is locked. Please tell can vertin or vertiford tab can...  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. I have seen the details given. The glucose levels are too high. Which is a clear indication that her present treatment is totally inadequate. Anothe very important aspect is her excessive weight, with a BMI of 43.96 kgs/Sq meter(Normal < 23 kgs/Sq meter) she has an e...  Read Full »

How to manage high blood sugar levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I am taking Glycinorm M60 OD one tablet twice daily, as advised, but my fasting sugar levels are around 140, PP around 160, and random around 120. My recent HbA1c is 7.2 as compared to earlier 6.5. I regularly exercise for one hour daily, and I am concerned about my fasting sugar levels....  Read Full »

Dr. Rabbanie Tariq Wani

Diabetologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Since when have you been taking this medicine?  Read Full »

Please comment on the abnormal values seen in my blood report.

Query: Hello doctor, My total cholesterol is 273 mg%. Triglyceride 293 mg%, LDL cholesterol 180.4 mg/dL. VLDL 58.6 mg/dL. Ratio total HDL cholesterol 8.03. Blood sugar (fasting) 127 mg/dL. Sugar PP 138 mg/dL. Uric acid 8.7 mg%.  Read Full »

Dr. Safina Mithani

Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As per reports, cholesterol levels, blood sugar, and uric acid levels are higher. Dietary recommendations as per your condition: 1. Take one tablespoon of roasted flaxseed every morning. 2. Take one tablespoon apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water twice a...  Read Full »

What are the treatment options to reduce sugar levels?

Query: Hi, My age is 41 height is 6.1ft, weight is 94kg. Today i brought gluco meter and test my sugar level and it shoes 220 ( not on fasting). Kindly help me to get some treatment instruction to reduce the sugar level. waiting for the reply. Regards.  Read Full »

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetologist, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. I have seen the details given. Random blood glucose 220 mg is quite higher than expected normal. Usually in a normal person following levels are seen : FBG < 100 mg, PP 6.5% is diabetes), that will give a clear idea. Even now you should initiate the treatment with T...  Read Full »

Is it advisable for a person with BP, sugar, and gas problems to fast or skip meals?

Query: I am having b.P, sugar, gas problem, all under control. Sometimes gas problem s, chest burning, belching etc 1) Can I do fasting, skipping meals as everyone suggesting . What shall I take before taking medicine s as when on fast 2) Suggest multi grain s, 3) Eating non veg not shoot up sugar ? I am...  Read Full »

Dr. Subharanjini Ramesh

Dietician

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq. Since all your problems are under control, you can do fasting. What kind of fasting you want to do? Is it totally not eating anything or eating like tiffin items without rice? I would suggest the second option as it will be easy for you to follow. Just avoid rice and eat any...  Read Full »

Please suggest medicines and a diet plan for diabetes.

Query: My mother, age 48, has Hypertension. She's taking maintenance medicine: Amlodipine Besilate 10mg. At around 8 PM of 09/03/2020, she got her BP results from the clinic and it was 150/100. Yesterday she went to get her Fasting Blood Sugar test results and it was 403 mg/dL. Reference Range is from 74.0...  Read Full »

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed

Endocrinologist, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi Good day Thanks for your query What’s the HBA1c which will show ur average sugar over 2-3 months previously Her sugar over 400 is very high How much she’s using metformin. U didn’t mention. She can increase it 2 gm in 24 hours if she’s taking less than that and if she&r...  Read Full »

Am I diabetic or are my readings due to Seroquel?

Query: Hello doctor,My A1c is 5.4 and my fasting glucose is 107 and I was taking 800 mg of Seroquel which is a medication for paranoid schizophrenia and is known for causing diabetes and high blood sugar and five minutes after taking a 400 mg pill, one day my sugar went over 200 and the next day five minut...  Read Full »

Dr. Sreejith Mg

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Quetiapine (Seroquel) in such high doses may produce hyperglycemia. So, the first possibility is drug-induced hyperglycemia. So, try to reduce the dosage after consulting your doctor. You have to monitor your blood sugar regularly when you are taking these type of dr...  Read Full »

Can glucose monitor value and HbA1c differ?

Query: Hi doctor, My father has been suffering from diabetes for the past 20 years. He is using Apidra (20 units in the morning and 14 units in the evening), Lantus (20 units in the morning) Insulin injections and Cyblex MV 40.2 mg twice a day. He regularly checks his blood sugar level using glucose monito...  Read Full »

Dr. Kusumakar Srivastava

Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The diabetic medications followed by your father have controlled his blood sugar level in the range of 90 to 130 mg/dL. The reading shown by the glucose monitor is the current value during the time of check, but HbA1c always denotes the control of sugar level over two ...  Read Full »

How to help my diabetic father get his appetite back?

Query: hello my father who is 62yrs old has diabetes type 2.. Recently, he started not feeling well. He has stopped eating, basically doesn't want to eat or drink anything. He's been like this refusing food for about 4 days now. His blood sugar is anywhere around 250-380 even though he isn't eating anythin...  Read Full »

Dr. Rinku Biswas

Pharmacologist, Family Physician, Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, The mentioned sugar levels are too high. The medication dosage is not mentioned. Only Metformin doesn't work for such high levels. He might need insulin too initially to control the levels and then eventually can be on pills depending upon the condition and thorough follow up. Please don't ign...  Read Full »