Q. Kindly interpret my ultrasound report and let me know if I have liver cancer.

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

Please help me understand my report. I need help interpreting the impression part. Does this ultrasound indicate that I potentially have HCC or liver cancer?

Report:

Examination: Ultrasound Abdomen.

Indication: HCC screening.

Comparison: None.

Technique: Multiplanar gray-scale images of the abdomen were performed.

Findings:

Pancreas: Visualized portions of the pancreas are normal.

Aorta: 2.0 cm in size.

IVC: Normal.

Liver: Measures 14.2 cm in size. Increased echogenicity. No focal mass.

No intrahepatic ductal enlargement.

Gallbladder: No gallstones. Gallbladder wall thickness 2 mm in size. No pericholecystic fluid. No sonographic Murphy's sign. Probable tiny polyp.

Common bile duct: 3 mm in size.

Right kidney: Measures 10.5 x 4.6 x 5.6 cm in size. Normal echogenicity.

No focal mass. No hydronephrosis. No nephrolithiasis.

Ascites: None.

Impression:

1. Echogenic liver may secondary to fatty replacement and underlying

hepatocellular disease.

2. Tiny probable gallbladder polyp. No stones.

#

Thanks for writing to us.

I hope you are not in much discomfort.

The ultrasound report scan shows increased echogenicity, which means that the liver is mildly whiter than the normal liver on the images (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). This can happen when there is increased fat content in the liver or any other condition of the liver that might cause this change. It does not specifically mean hepatocellular carcinoma. Please note that an ultrasound scan is a subjective interpretation.

A small gallbladder polyp measuring 2 mm is not too significant but might need a follow-up scan in a few months or years.

|