Q. What does my mom's urinalysis suggest?

Dr. Gopinath
This is a premium question & answer published on May 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I have attached my mother's urinalysis report. She is experiencing burning sensation while urinating, but no fever. She is diabetic and on following medicines. Glycomet-GP 3/850 one in the morning and one at night, Voglibose 0.3 one in the morning, Telmisat-AM 5 mg, Orvas 5 mg, Nexito 20 mg and Alzolam 0.5 mg. Please help.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

I saw the report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• You can start her on antibiotics now and later adjust after culture report.
  • I would suggest the following medications. Consult your doctor, discuss with him/her and take the medicine with consent:
  1. Tablet Oflox (Ofloxacin) 200 mg twice a day after food.
  2. Tablet Urispas (Flavoxate) 200 mg twice a day after food.
  3. Tablet Pan (Pantoprazole) 40 mg twice a day before food.
  • All the above medication has to be taken for five days.
  • Repeated urinary infection needs ultrasound abdomen evaluation too.

Revert back after the test to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Her doctor has started her on Norflox 400. I hope that is fine too.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

• Yes, it is fine. You can add the other two drugs too.

For further doubts consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

My mother has completed her course of antibiotics 28 days back and after that we did the urine test again along with some other routine blood tests. Just noticed some protein present in the urine. Is it normal to have protein after urine infection? I am attaching both the reports again.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

• It is normal to have protein in urine during infection.
  • However, diabetes itself can cause microalbuminuria which has to be treated too.
  • As far as the present report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is concerned she still has 6-8 pus cells indicative of persistent infection.
  • If symptomatic, kindly get a urine culture done and treat with a full course of appropriate antibiotic. Thanks.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Should we again do a urine analysis? As this was done just one day after completion of antibiotics.

Dr. Gopinath

Urology
#

• If symptomatic kindly do urine cultures rather than a urine routine test.

| 

Please suggest medicines for parameters out of range in the blood test.

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is 36 years old. In one of her routine blood tests, we found a few anomalies. The report is attached. Please let me know your thoughts on the parameters that are out of range in the report and suggest medicines.  Read Full »

Diabetes Mellitus and Oral Health

Article Overview: This article emphasizes the impact of diabetes mellitus on oral health problems and its management. Read Article

Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disorder which affects the uptake and use of glucose by the human body. As a result, the glucose level in the blood rises beyond normal which has an overall impact on the general health and oral cavity. Types Of Diabetes Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: It oc...  Read Article

What is the permanent solution for testicular pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I have a mild pain in the right testis since two months. The USG report showed slight thickening of the spermatic cord. Now, after 10 days of antibiotic courses referred by the physician, then the condition is better. But when I lift some weight or drive a car, then the pain starts again...  Read Full »