Q. I am afraid about the vaginal fluid contact by hand inspite of using condom during sex. Am I safe?

Dr. Poosha Darbha

I had sex with a woman, but I do not know her HIV status. I used a condom, but I am afraid that the condom is not safe, and I might have into contact with some of her vaginal fluid by my hand.

#

A condom is much safer (about 80 %) compared to unprotected sex. So you are safer to that extent even if she would be HIV positive. But then, as you guessed right, condoms may not protect you from every infection or infestation. Therefore it is good to see an STD specialist and seek his counseling.

You may require some tests based on symptoms, and other tests even if there are no symptoms. If the hand has no cuts or open wounds, ulcers, etc., transmission through the skin on the hands is rare for most infections (unless you did not bring the wet hand into contact with your penis or other sensitive areas).

| 

I had protected sex with a CSW. Am I infected with HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, I had protected oral and vaginal sex with a commercial sex worker two nights back. The condom was intact throughout the intercourse. When I was about to ejaculate, I withdrew my penis, and the condom was intact even then. She got up and came with tissues, and I withdrew my condom with...  Read Full »

I had protected sex with multiple partners. What is the risk of HIV infection?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and I had sex with two female partners, three months back. I had vaginal and oral sex. The intercourse lasted for about five minutes, twice with each partner. I had a condom on throughout the time. Starting a week or so later, I had a pimple-like bump at the edge ...  Read Full »

I am using IUD. Is it normal to get thicker vaginal fluid during intercourse?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had the Mirena IUD for about a year now. Recently I found my vaginal opening is getting rather tight and small. There is no pain or odor. Because of this, my partner feels difficult to have sex. This went on for almost two months now. When we did finally, my fluids were clear with ...  Read Full »

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now