Q. I am afraid about the vaginal fluid contact by hand inspite of using condom during sex. Am I safe?

Dr. D. V. R. Poosha

I had sex with a woman, but I do not know her HIV status. I used a condom, but I am afraid that the condom is not safe, and I might have into contact with some of her vaginal fluid by my hand.

#

A condom is much safer (about 80 %) compared to unprotected sex. So you are safer to that extent even if she would be HIV positive. But then, as you guessed right, condoms may not protect you from every infection or infestation. Therefore it is good to see an STD specialist and seek his counseling.

You may require some tests based on symptoms, and other tests even if there are no symptoms. If the hand has no cuts or open wounds, ulcers, etc., transmission through the skin on the hands is rare for most infections (unless you did not bring the wet hand into contact with your penis or other sensitive areas).

|