Q. I am afraid about the vaginal fluid contact by hand inspite of using condom during sex. Am I safe?

Dr. Poosha Darbha
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I had sex with a woman, but I do not know her HIV status. I used a condom, but I am afraid that the condom is not safe, and I might have into contact with some of her vaginal fluid by my hand.

Do you have a question on Vaginal Fluid or Condoms?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Poosha Darbha

PHD
Sexology

A condom is much safer (about 80 %) compared to unprotected sex. So you are safer to that extent even if she would be HIV positive. But then, as you guessed right, condoms may not protect you from every infection or infestation. Therefore it is good to see an STD specialist and seek his counseling.

You may require some tests based on symptoms, and other tests even if there are no symptoms. If the hand has no cuts or open wounds, ulcers, etc., transmission through the skin on the hands is rare for most infections (unless you did not bring the wet hand into contact with your penis or other sensitive areas).

I had protected sex with a CSW. Am I infected with HIV?
Query: Hello doctor, I had protected oral and vaginal sex with a commercial sex worker two nights back. The condom was intact throughout the intercourse. When I was about to ejaculate, I withdrew my penis, and the condom was intact even then. She got up and came with tissues, and I withdrew my condom with...  Read Full >>
Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You practically have no chance of getting HIV (human immunodeficiency virus), there is no point in worrying about it in further. After a month, you can do an HIV PCR RNA test to confirm it. For the time being, there is no point in thinking about it even if the girl was HI...  Read Full

I had protected sex with two female partners. Am I infected with HIV?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 31 year old male, and I had sex with two female partners, three months back. I had vaginal and oral sex. The intercourse lasted for about five minutes, twice with each partner. I had a condom on throughout the time. Starting a week or so later, I had a pimple-like bump at the edge ...  Read Full >>
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The answers to your queries are as follows: If you had sex with a latex condom, used properly, separate for each act, separate for both the partners and it did not break or slip, then it was a protected act. It not only prevents HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) but ...  Read Full

I am using IUD. Is it normal to get thicker vaginal fluid during intercourse?
Query: Hi doctor, I have had the Mirena IUD for about a year now. Recently I found my vaginal opening is getting rather tight and small. There is no pain or odor. Because of this, my partner feels difficult to have sex. This went on for almost two months now. When we did finally, my fluids were clear with ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I do not see any reason for you to worry. Mirena is an IUD (intrauterine device), and it releases hormone progesterone for over the years. This hormone makes the inner lining of uterus thin and also the secretion thicker, whiter without odor or any other symptoms. As yo...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now