Q. Though vaginal infection got cured, sex was painful. Is it quite alarming?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 29, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2019

I am 25 years old. I was diagnosed with vaginal yeast infection a week ago and immediately started my medication. It includes oral, gel and vaginal pessaries. It was six days long course. Even though the symptoms vanished in less than a day, I did not stop taking the medication. Today my boyfriend came back, who generally stays abroad due to work. The sex was painful and uncomfortable, hence scared and I did not go ahead with it. This is the first time I am facing problem down there. I drink more than 3 liters of water every day and avoid using common toilet. As I live alone, no family member sharing my house toilet as well. A gynecologist did an internal checkup and found some white, cottage cheesy colored discharge inside; none of it ever came out in the panty. Is there any reason to alarm?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Normally, treatment for vaginal yeast infection is given to both patient and sexual partner to prevent reinfection. So, your partner also needs to take treatment simultaneously.

What you can do now is you both can take tablet Forcan 150 mg (Fluconazole) single dose to prevent recurrence.

Regarding your symptoms, those are likely to be due to inadequate lubrication. You can increase amount of foreplay to increase lubrication. If it still hurts, then use some lubricant like Paraffin oil.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I took tablet Forcan as prescribed a week before. Should I take another one within today or tomorrow? Is it a must to give my partner one?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Welcome back to icliniq.com

• As you had the tablet already, it is fine if you do not take now.
  • Please ask your partner to take the tablet Forcan today.

| 

Can I use Terbinaforce plus cream for a vaginal infection?

Query: Hello doctor,Can Terbinaforce plus cream be used for a vaginal infection? I have itching after periods. Please guide.  Read Full »

Are the medicines given to me for scabies correct?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with scabies, and now I am worried my family also has it. The doctor has prescribed Permethrin cream 5%, Ketoconazole cream, Flutas 150 mg, and Levocetirizine. Are these tablets fine or should I add anything more? What should I do with the furniture and mobile phones? I h...  Read Full »

Can fungal infection cause low grade fever?

Query: Hi doctor, For around nine weeks now, I have had a low grade fever and that persists. Also, I feel a little upper throat fullness and mild sinus congestion. I have been in and out of primary care clinics many times looking for help.  I had two chest x-rays and they were clear. I also had blood test...  Read Full »