Q. What causes vaginal itching and paste-like white vaginal discharge?

Dr. Maneesha

My wife has been having itching in the vagina and white discharge in the form of paste for the past two to three days.

Kindly help.

#

Welcome to iclinic.com.

I need to know some detailed history to help to better.

1) When was her last period?

2) What is the color of discharge?

3) Is the discharge curdy white or some greyish white?

4) Does it have a foul-smelling odor?

5) Is there any redness over the itching area?

6) Does she have burning during urination?

All this information is necessary to diagnose vaginal discharge because discharge may be physiological during ovulation time and in the premenstrual phase. It may be due to a bacterial infection, fungal infection, or other causes.

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

She had her last period 20 days ago. The white vaginal discharge is foul-smelling. The discharge is white, curd-like consistency, and frothy. Redness is there in and around the vagina, along with itching. There is no abdominal pain and burning sensation while urinating.

Thanks.

#

She is suffering from a mixed vaginal infection (both bacterial and fungal) of bacterial vaginosis and candidiasis. For symptomatic relief, I suggest she use Candid -CL vaginal suppositories (Clindamycin and Clotrimazole) once at night for six days, tablet Allegra 180 mg (Fexofenadine) once at night for three days, tablet Metrogyl 400 mg (Metronidazole) thrice daily for seven days, and Candid dusting powder (Clotrimazole) daily after cleaning the genitals. Keep the area dry and wash undergarments with mild soap only. Use barrier contraception (condoms) if you are sexually active.

If she is not relieved with the treatment mentioned above, she should start oral antifungals, and treating the partner is also needed.

Take care.

RBS (random blood sugar) and vaginal wet mount test.

Proper genital hygiene.

Revert after one week.

|