Q. I have pain in my second molar with redness in gingiva and it hurts on eating and drinking. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 15, 2020

I had pain in my second molar. I felt the pain in my wisdom tooth last week then the pain fades away after 3-5 minutes. I thought it will not come back but then it happens recently then the gums in my second right molar teeth have the red lining and it always hurts when I eat or drink and even when I do toothbrush. Please help.

Dr. Mousam Chattopadhyay

Dentistry Endodontist
#

I went through your query. I am sorry for your inconvenience with the tooth. As an expert in this field, I know what is exactly wrong. Nothing to worry it is your third molar.

What happens during erupting third molars or partially erupted third molars is the gum between the second and the third molars undergo swelling and pain due to infection. It also makes mouth opening difficult in some cases. But not to worry. Kindly upload an image if possible for more help.

Follow these instructions:

- Do warm saline gargle two to three times a day.

- Take tablet Sporidex (Cephalexin) 500 mg one tablet BD for five days, Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) one tablet BD for five days, capsule Pan D (Pantoprazole) one capsule BD before meals for five days.

These medications will help you a lot. You will be fine.

Erupting third molar.

Pericoronitis.

Avoid sticky or sweet or cold items, not even cold water.

Follow up after seven days.

| 

Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hello doctor, Is fever an immune response of the body to act as defense mechanism against infection, why is Paracetamol prescribed to reduce temperature?What will be happen, if not used?  Read Full »

Will pericoronitis in the left upper wisdom tooth is likely to cause Ludwig's syndrome?

Query: Hello doctor, I heard that Pericoronitis could cause Ludwig syndrome, which can interfere with breathing. I heard this happens when the lower wisdom tooth is infected. Can this still happen if the upper wisdom tooth is infected? My upper left wisdom tooth is infected. However, I am treating it wi...  Read Full »

Is surgery necessary for inflamed eye carbuncle?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a small ball in the corner of my left eye, (on my nose side). I have looked it up and apparently, it is an inflamed eye carbuncle. The surrounding area inside my eye is becoming increasingly red. Please what is the regular treatment for this? Do I need surgery? I am taking anti...  Read Full »