Q. Is my toe wound not healing because I am diabetic?

Dr. Rajesh Jain

I have been a diabetic for two decades, and I am under antidiabetic medications. I keep my blood sugar levels under control and regularly check my blood sugar levels. Recently I checked my blood sugar, and the results were normal. My complaint is that I hit my big toe, and then it started bleeding a week back. After I wiped the blood off, I found my nail had been broken. I can walk, but it aches, and it is bearable. However, I do not think the wound is healing. I dress my wound in cotton and antiseptic ointment and tie a cloth around.

Should I get a Tetanus Toxoid (TT) injection? Is the wound not healing as I am diabetic? A week back, my blood sugar level was 180. How long will it take to heal in a diabetic person?

#

Clean it with hydrogen peroxide and apply betadine cream locally. Put a sterile bandage on it.

I suggest you take (consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her, and take medicine with their concern) a single dose of injection Tetanus Toxoid. Take tablet Zerodol-SP (Aceclofenac, Paracetamol, and Serratiopeptidase) twice daily, tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole), once on an empty stomach, tablet Clavum (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg, twice daily. All these medications have to be taken for three days. It will heal within a few weeks.

|