Q. I like to masturbate, but not sex. Why?

I am 31 years old. I have been married for 3.5 years now. I hardly feel to have sex with my wife. Sometimes, the gap will be more than a month. I masturbate almost on a daily basis and sometimes, twice or thrice in a day after watching porn. I am somehow addicted to it and not able to stop it. My wife has a very high sex drive. As I turn it down, it is causing lots of problems between us. Is there some deficiency with me? Can any medication or test help me in this?

Dr.Pankaj Mittal
M.B.B.S.., M.D
Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, Sexology

• It seems that you have a normal sexual drive as you masturbate on a daily basis, which is also a form of sexual activity.
  • Masturbation is not an addiction. It is a normal phenomenon. It does not affect our physical, mental and sexual health. It is totally natural and normal.
  • It seems that you have only specific aversion of sexual act for your wife; however, you have not mentioned the probable reasons behind this.
  • It seems that you have some intrapsychic issues with your wife. So, please explore those.
  • Make a plan for some romantic outing and ask your wife to adopt some sensate focusing techniques to stimulate you. If this did not work, then you need marital therapy.
  • Though you do not have any sexual insufficiency, I suggest you tablet Tadalafil 10 mg once a week on need basis. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a sexologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

* expert medical advice guaranteed.

Ask a Sexologist »
* expert medical advice guaranteed.