Q. I have a hard, tender and warm lump near my anus. What is it?

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Srivastava
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 03, 2019

Hi doctor,

I am in real pain for past 9 months and my doctor is clueless after several visits. After a period of 38.6 weeks in latent labor, I had a vacuum assisted vaginal delivery (first baby). No ultrasound was done the very day of admission. With crowning left medio-lateral episiotomy was given. Extension of 1.5 cm up to anal sphincter was given and sutured. I gave birth to 3.6 kg baby girl. After 2-3 days in hospital I kept complaining about excessive pain and burning in that suture compared to others. I was told that it was normal. After a month I could barely sit and feed my baby. In follow up doctor told me it was normal and healing. After 2 months it worsened again and I could feel a hard lump in left side below my vagina and near anus. It has been 9 months now after my delivery and every 4th day or once in a week I get the lump tender, warm and hardness in between my vagina and anus, along with discharge of pus or light color blood which is immensely painful. It keeps coming back always. I am getting weaker day by day. Mild fever, stiffness in legs, body ache, inability to move and sit when the pus forms until it discharges from a hole that has been there always. The same hole closes each time after discharge. Which doctor should I visit? Please help me urgently. What can this be?

Dr. Sumit Srivastava

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have gone through your complaint.

  • It seems there is fistula (tunnel like passage) formation leading to recurrent perianal abscess in your anogenital area. But it needs to be examined to confirm the diagnosis.
  • I would suggest you to consult an experienced surgeon for further physical examination and have yourself examined.
  • After diagnosis is confirmed, surgical excision of the entire fistulous tract is the treatment of choice for the recurrent anal abscess.

The Probable causes:


Investigations to be done:


Differential diagnosis:


Probable diagnosis:


Treatment plan:

Fistulectomy with antibiotic coverage.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after investigations to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

All About Gum Abscess - Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and Prevention

Article Overview: Pus-filled pockets that form in the gums (gingiva) surrounding the tooth is called gum abscess. To know more about this, read the article. Read Article

Causes Any abscess arising in the region of the gum can be due to either of the three causes: Gingival abscess: This is the one that remains confined to your gum only and does not involve the deeper structures. Periodontal abscess: This is the one that is due to a deeper problem and involve...  Read Article

Can tooth abscess spread throughout the body?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old female. I have an abscess in my tooth for over a year now. I am getting it infected for the second time now. The previous infection was before six months. It is present at the bottom of one of my lower molars. It hurts me a lot. How long will it take to spread throughou...  Read Full »

I have anal pain even two weeks after a piles surgery. Is it normal?

Query: Hello doctor,I had undergone piles surgery two weeks ago. Still, I have pain in the anal area during bowel movements.  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.