Q. What can be the reason for sudden uneasiness and weakness?

Dr. Rahul Rathee
Published on Apr 03, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 10, 2019

A 44 year old woman, suddenly felt uneasiness and weakness. Her BP was measured and the reading was 141/96. She weighs 55 kg, non-diabetic, no previous history of dyslipidemia and she is quite active.

What investigations should be done immediately? And how to proceed?

Dr. Rahul Rathee

#

Well, a single episode with the symptoms of uneasiness and weakness is most of the times nonspecific or due to a mild anxiety attack.

If such is the case you should not be worried about it. But, if such episodes are frequent and comes repeatedly, then definitely it should be thoroughly investigated.

Though her BP (blood pressure) is slightly on the higher side, it is not as high as to cause sudden onset and prolonged uneasiness.

To be on the safer side, I would like to suggest her very mild antihypertensive and anxiolytic for a short duration.

But before that, I would like you to get few investigations done on empty stomach and let me know the reports.

1. Complete hemogram.
  2. T3, T4 and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).
  3. ECG (electrocardiogram).

Another important factor to consider for her is that it may also be related to menopause, which can lead to hormonal disturbances, anxiety, uneasiness, hot flushes, mood disturbances and intolerance to mild/moderate heat and cold.

So, kindly let me know about any recent changes in her menstrual cycles, so that I can evaluate that aspect too.

Revert back with the investigation reports to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

I Have A Tingling Sensation In My Hands And Feet. Can It Be Due To Anxiety?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 26 year old female. At the beginning of this year, I had a bad cold, and two weeks later, I had a tingling in the wrists, feet, and legs, which the doctor said was reactive arthritis which lasted a few weeks. Then, the first time my left hand felt weak was five months back. It f...  Read Full »

I have weakness and pain in the arm. Should I anticipate surgery?

Query: Hi doctor,I recently had an MRI on my neck. I have a 75 % weakness and pain on the left arm (tricep). Should I anticipate surgery?  Read Full »