Q. How to manage a tear in the knee joint?

Answered by
Dr. Sharoff Lokesh Mohan
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 05, 2020

Hi doctor,

I have a small tear in the knee joint, but the doctor advised me for arthroscopy. How to manage this problem? Please suggest.



Welcome to

  • If you are telling me about a meniscal tear in the knee joint, then a grade 1 and grade 2 tears of the meniscus can be managed with physiotherapy alone.
  • Grade 3 tear will require an arthroscopic trimming of the meniscus or else your pain and swelling will keep coming back.
  • If you are not doing the arthroscopy, then you need to do exercises like quadriceps strengthening exercises and hamstring stretching exercises daily for 15 minutes twice a day.
  • If you are choosing arthroscopy, then it is a simple procedure and after the procedure you will be able to walk the next day of surgery.
  • Try some home remedies for your pain like,
  1. Ice is useful for the control of pain and swelling. It can be applied to the knee for 15 to 20 minutes for every two to four hours. The swollen knee should be elevated above the level of the heart while icing.
  2. Activities that cause pain should be avoided temporarily.
  • If the knee is swollen or sore, the following positions and activities should be avoided until knee pain and swelling resolve: Squatting, kneeling, twisting and pivoting, jogging, aerobics, dancing and playing sports.
  • I suggest you to take tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg one tablet at morning and night for 10 days after food and tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg one tablet at night for 10 days before food.
  • I suggest you to take tablet Shelcal (Calcium and vitamin D) 500 mg one tablet at morning and night for 30 days before food, tablet D-shine (cholecalciferol) 60 k one tablet daily for 10 days and then once in a month for 11 months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.
  • Take these medicines only if you are not allergic to them and revert back after one week with the MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report so that I can go through it and advise you.

Revert back after one week with the report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What is the reason for cold feet three weeks after hip arthroscopy?

.. your concern and would explain that your symptoms are not related to the arthroscopy. A possible deep vein thrombosis could cause these symptoms. Do you see any change in the color (pale or bluish) in your legs? Can you feel the pulse on the dorsa...   Read full

How can I manage constipation with hard stools and frequent urination?

.. with Iron and Calcium supplements. Take fiber rich diet and plenty of fluids. Take laxatives and cranberry juice for constipation and bladder symptoms. You can have an active bladder and chronic constipation. Get a urine examination, thyroid profi...   Read full

Is it safe to take Nucoxia for a long period?

.. mentioned that you have been diagnosed as a case of mechanical back pain. Since your question is specific for Nucoxia, I can tell you that Etoricoxib is actually a COX-2 inhibitor which is definitely safer than conventional NSAIDs (non steroidal a...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Coronavirus Variant Arcturus: | Omicron XBB.1.16 Variant
Arcturus is an emerging variant of the Omicron virus that causes various symptoms and spreads rapidly across the world. ...  Read more»
Adrenaline Rush - Symptoms, Causes, Effects, and How to Control
Adrenaline is a hormone responsible for fight or flight response. It is also a neurotransmitter and medicine. It is also...  Read more»
Fatty Liver - Types, Symptoms, Stages, and Treatment
The liver is the largest gland in the body. Its primary function is to process the food and drinks we consume. and filte...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.