Q. Is back pain a common sign of lung cancer?

Dr. Prathap

I am a 31 year old male, and I have back pain. I wanted to know about the possible association of back pain with lung cancer. I have been a smoker for the past 12 years. My daily consumption is about 6 to 10 cigarettes. I do not consume alcohol, and I do not chew tobacco and have no other addiction. I normally have home-cooked meals except lunch, and my diet includes some amount of vegetables almost every day and fruits at times. I hardly consume red meat and my consumption of spicy and oily food is limited to about once a week. I am overweight (113 kg and 6 feet tall). I do not exercise as such, but I normally walk about a kilometer or more every day.

I have been experiencing non-specific back pain (mostly upper back) since last year. My GP asked me to get a vitamin D test, and my result was 12.5. I was prescribed Uprise D3 60K once a week for three months, which I took as prescribed. For the last 7 to 10 days, I have been experiencing occasional mild back pain. The pain is not constant and not severe. Most of the times it occurs around the center of the back, slightly towards the right. And at times, it occurs at lower back. Sometimes, it occurs on the side, very rarely on the chest and near the right collarbone. I have no cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, weight loss, and loss of appetite. I do not feel any pain or anything unusual while inhaling deeply. The back pain, if present, is not worse during the night or while lying down.

I have had mild throat irritation for the past two weeks, which an ENT specialist checked and said is due to mucus dripping from the back of my nose into the throat. I have sinusitis. He prescribed me Lasma AB once a day for seven days, which I took and now the throat irritation is better, almost normal. I have been reading a lot on the net about back pain as an early sign of lung cancer, and it really scared me. Is back pain a common sign of lung cancer? If yes, what stage does it usually occur? Can only back pain occur with no other symptoms if it is lung cancer, or it is typically accompanied by other symptoms? What are the chances of my getting lung cancer, given the age and the history stated above? Thank you.

Do you have a question on Back Pain or Physiotherapy?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Prathap

MD

• Back pain is not a common symptom of cancer lung. It can happen in a case of lung cancer with metastasis that is late stage. Your symptom is not related to cancer at all. It is due to strain.
  • Physiotherapy will cure your problem. At this age and your habits without a family history and exposure to carcinogens, the chances are very less. Get a chest x-ray if you still doubt.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you so much for the prompt and valued response. How much does a family history of lung cancer matter? There is no instance of lung cancer in my immediate family in the past couple of generations. However, around 15 years ago, my father had sarcoidosis, which was cured with steroids, though he never smoked.

Dr. Prathap

MD

• Family history is an additive to risk. There is no specific percentage.

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?
Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full »
Dr. Vivek Chail

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have seen your x-ray reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There appears to be a mild prominence of the bronchovascular markings in both the lungs, more so in the lower lobes. This is not a serious problem and sometimes can occur without any acc...  Read Full »

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?
Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full »
Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?
Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »
Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing the brief history of your daughter. I am sorry firstly to hear that your daughter is being diagnosed with Erb's palsy. Well, I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy for atleast three days a week as it will be of good help for her. Usuall...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now