Q. How can I correct my pale look due to minor beta thalassemia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I am a 22-year-old female and I have a minor beta thalassemia (heterozygous) which is supposed to be asymptomatic but I am very pale. This makes me extremely insecure especially when people keep pointing it out. Every day I get at least two people asking me what is wrong with me and why do I look so pale and sick. I could be feeling really good and energized but look like a zombie from the outside. Please tell me if I can correct this and look healthy? I am not married and do not have kids and my period is regular and a bit heavy.

#

In thalassemia minor patient, Hb (hemoglobin) usually remains around 10-11 gm/dl. It is hemolytic anemia and so extramedullary erythropoiesis occurs in the bone marrow (attachment removed to protect patient identity). So, the mandible is also affected and become prominent. Low Hb is also present, hence people might notice you. You can be prescribed Iron tablet like Ferrous ascorbate for your Hb improvement.

Consult nearby hematologist for examination and get your prescription. Thalassemia minor people can live normally and before marriage check your husband thalassemia minor report to avoid thalassemia major child.

For more information consult a hematologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/hematologist

|