Q. I am bleeding after a positive pregnancy test. Is it due to the miscarriage that I had last month?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2021

I have been trying to conceive for four months now. Last month, I got two positive pregnancy tests followed by some bleeding a week after the test. I bled for about a week. And this month, I also got three positive pregnancy tests. I got a positive test two days before my missed period, but the periods followed, which was very dark. Is it possible that this is still the first pregnancy or is it more likely that this is a new pregnancy? Thanks in advance.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com.

How are you doing?

• If you had bleeding, as in periods, then this is a fresh pregnancy. But, if that bleeding was minimal or just discharge, it is the same pregnancy continuing. All you can do is to get a serum beta hCG and repeat it after 48 hours. If this is a healthy pregnancy, your blood values will double.
  • Once the value of beta hCG is more than 1500, the pregnancy can be seen on an ultrasound scan. The rise in the value by double in 48 hours will also prove that the baby is healthy and you do not have any problems in the growth of fetal tissues. Beta hCG will also help you to decide when to take the scan.
  • In the meantime, I suggest you have tablet Folic acid, it prevents early abortion and anomalies. And also tablet Duphaston (Dydrogesterone) twice a day, it is a hormonal support to prevent any early bleeding and abortions, as you have a history of miscarriage.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. The earliest you can see fetal heartbeat is at six weeks of pregnancy.

Hope I have clarified your query, do write back. All the best.

For more information consult an infertility specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/infertility-specialist

|