Q. Suffering from acid reflux and bloating for the third time in a year. Why?

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 28 year old male. I have had severe acid reflux and stomach bloating three times in the past 12 months. It started suddenly each time. There is no prior symptom. This is the third time and it has been going on for a month. During the first time, I treated myself with antacids (Calcium carbonate) and a two week cycle of Nexium with probiotics. When it came back for the second time, I had Pepsin and Betaine hydrochloride, probiotics for a month. It worked very well. Five months later, it came back for the third time now. I have had no acid reflux, but just bloating. I am taking Betaine HCl and Pepsin, but it is not going away. I will start to bloat right after my first bite of food. Even drinking water too fast will make it. The bloating is bad. I have severe bloating and pressure for hours after I eat. I think my stomach is not producing any acid. Could it be like that?

#

You described two different entities here.

• If you have indigestion due to any reason, then you may have bloating, burping, heaviness of abdomen and early satiety. This occurs due to less enzymes available from the stomach, gall bladder and, pancreas for digestion due to a variety of causes.
  • If you have a weak junction of esophagus with the stomach, then swallowed food with stomach acid move into esophagus and produce symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux.
  • Acid reflux will give you burning pain in the chest and upper center part of the abdomen, nausea, heaviness after meals and symptoms of acidity. You might need further evaluation to confirm the diagnosis.

CT scan of abdomen and upper gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy.

1. Indigestion.
2. Hiatus hernia.
3. Esophagitis.

GERD with gastritis.

Continue treatment for gastritis.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|