Q. Despite of workouts and healthy lifestyle, my BP still remains high. Why?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I am a 44-year-old male. I am a non-smoker, occasional drinker (two to three days per week). I take Olmesartan once daily, Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and honey once daily.

I am trying to understand my high BP more. Is it just my physiology or is it something else? Every time I go to my doctor for a checkup they do blood and urine tests. Those tests always come back within range. Sugar hovers between 95-105 and has ever since I was a kid. My total cholesterol is within range but could do with some tweaking. My BP constantly runs140-150/80-85.

I work out five days a week, three days are power lifting and two days are moderate to intense cardio. Added activities include taking our dogs on multiple walks throughout the day. When given the time this walk can be 1.5 miles, most of the time I take .25 and .50 mile walks. My weekly duties consist of swimming and playing with my kids in the pool, housework, repair projects, and other house owner duties.

My wife had weight loss surgery four years ago. Prior to her surgery, we changed our entire diet as a family. Dinners consist of a lean protein and two veggies. We removed processed foods from our diet almost completely. We have two kids so that is near impossible. On nights, when I have to have some carbs I try to be healthy and go with sweet potatoes, wild or brown rice.

I drink 80oz+ of water every day, coffee two cups in the morning, and my alcohol consumption is 1-2 drinks two to three days a week. I stopped putting sugar and cream in my coffee and just drink it black. I do my best to make smart food decisions when eating out.

I need to know what else I can do for my BP or is my BP just going to be high no matter what I do?

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understand your frustration. Do not be worried you will be fine. The reason why your blood pressure is still slightly high is a direct consequence of been obese.

The ideal weight for you is within the range of 75 to 82 kg that is why your blood pressure keeps getting elevated because your heart needs to pump more blood to circulate round your body. If you want to reduce your blood pressure and possibly stay off drugs in the future, then you need to lose weight. To help you lose weight I will advise you to get professional help through the guidance of a dietician. Continue your physical activity. You will be fine.

|