Q. Why BP and sugar levels not reduced despite taking medicines?

Dr. Ankush Gupta
Published on Dec 28, 2019

My mother is 55 years old. She is suffering from diabetes and high BP. Her BP remains 140/90 mmHg. She is taking the following medicines:

In the morning Telmisat 40 one tablet, Thyox 25 mg one tablet. During lunchtime Jalra 50 mg one tablet before food, Zoryl M2 Forte one tablet during food. During dinner time Jalra 50 mg one tablet before food, Zoryl M2 Forte one tablet during food, Avas 10 one tablet, Telmisat 40 one tablet, Metolar50 one tablet.

The recent lab report shows:

Fasting Glucose -137 mg/dl.

Post prandial Glucose- 189 mg/dl.

Urine report shows:

Albumin- 184 mg/l.

Creatinine- 0.22 g/l.

Albumin to CR- 836.4 mg/gm

Micral test-184 mg/l

Urine analysis shows: Protein (albumin)- present(+++)

Cystatin C.serum 1.51 mg/l.

More details about the presenting complaint: She is suffering from high blood pressure and diabetics. Despite taking medicines diabetics is not lowering. Also sometimes swelling appears in the legs.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

Critical Care Physician Diabetology
#

Your mother as you said is hypertensive and diabetic. She is on Glimepiride, Vildagliptin antidiabetics and Atorvastatin, Metoprolol as statin and antihypertensive. Her BP (blood pressure) is in under control as per her age and blood sugar is raised moderately. I would advise to start her on insulin the dose ll depending on her weight and blood sugar level.

If she is not fine with insulin I would advise to increase the dose of antidiabetic drugs after consulting your family physician. Her kidneys and eyes are fine. Please take care of her feet by doing a regular examination of feet. Increase her daily activity by daily walks and avoid lifts. Diet should be strict. Avoid non-vegetarian rice and fried foods.

| 

High Blood Pressure: Things You Need To Know!!

Article Overview: High blood pressure is a very common condition with serious consequences if left untreated. This article is aimed at providing basic knowledge about the causes, treatment, complications and prognosis of hypertension. Read Article

High Blood Pressure or Hypertension is a very common and serious condition which if untreated may lead to permanent and often fatal damage to various organs of the body including the heart, kidneys, brain and eyes. Hypertension means the pressure of the blood inside the blood vessels is higher than ...  Read Article

Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension)

Article Overview: Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contraction. The increase or decrease of blood pressure depends on the circumference of the blood vessel and the force by which the heart pumps the blood Read Article

Dr. Sneha Kannan

What Is Blood Pressure? Blood pressure is the force exerted by the blood flowing in the blood vessels on the walls of the vessels. Without this force, oxygen and nutrients would not reach the tissues and organs of the body. The heart exerts this pressure by forcing the blood out with every contract...  Read Article

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now