Q. Does varying blood sugar levels at a short intervel of time indicate diabetes?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A
Published on Jul 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 15, 2019

Last night I ate a cheese pizza and a chocolate bar. Eight hours later (after fasting) I tested my blood sugar and it came out at 128, and 30 minutes later it dropped to 106, and 15 minutes later it raised to 109 (without eating and drinking anything). My question is, do I have diabetes or did I initially have high sugar because I ate pizza very late at night?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

Usually fasting blood glucose is 126 mg and above is considered as diagnostic for diabetes. However, it is also possible that because of the dinner, fasting glucose might have shown a higher level. So to confirm whether there is diabetes or not, you may have to get a PP (postprandial) glucose level and HbA1c %. If PP is 200 mg and above and HbA1c % 6.5 % and above, then diabetes is considered to confirm. Looking at your weight and height, another important fact is with a BMI of 42.92 kgs/Sq meter you are already in grade 3 obesity. With a significant amount of excess weight. This itself is an invitation for getting diabetes.

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full >>

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
Diabetologist, Endocrinologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query about your high blood sugar levels and from the lab results (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it appears that you have uncontrolled diabetes and dyslipidemia, that is, high cholesterol. According to your HbA1C, it is recommen...  Read Full

Is there anything to worry about raising blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather aged 79 years has diabetes for past 22 years. He has been on medication since then. He has other parameters normal but his sugar levels are quite high for some time. Before three months, the fasting blood glucose level was 116 mg/dl and postprandial blood glucose level ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father is doing really well. The change in his sugar levels is due to his age. As he ages, his body processes would start to derange even if they were previously stable. He can continue eating as he presently is. But, ask him to also avoid sugar-rich fruits whi...  Read Full

Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5...  Read Full >>

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. HbA1c will give us information about your blood sugar in the past three months whereas RBS (random blood sugar) will get us information about the previous day. Therefore, HbA1c is more reliable than of RBS. The HbA1c level needs to be less than 6 to be considered as...  Read Full

Ask a Diabetologist Now