Q. Does varying blood sugar levels at a short intervel of time indicate diabetes?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 12, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 15, 2019

Last night I ate a cheese pizza and a chocolate bar. Eight hours later (after fasting) I tested my blood sugar and it came out at 128, and 30 minutes later it dropped to 106, and 15 minutes later it raised to 109 (without eating and drinking anything). My question is, do I have diabetes or did I initially have high sugar because I ate pizza very late at night?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

Usually fasting blood glucose is 126 mg and above is considered as diagnostic for diabetes. However, it is also possible that because of the dinner, fasting glucose might have shown a higher level. So to confirm whether there is diabetes or not, you may have to get a PP (postprandial) glucose level and HbA1c %. If PP is 200 mg and above and HbA1c % 6.5 % and above, then diabetes is considered to confirm. Looking at your weight and height, another important fact is with a BMI of 42.92 kgs/Sq meter you are already in grade 3 obesity. With a significant amount of excess weight. This itself is an invitation for getting diabetes.

| 

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Is there anything to worry about raising blood sugar levels?

Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather aged 79 years has diabetes for past 22 years. He has been on medication since then. He has other parameters normal but his sugar levels are quite high for some time. Before three months, the fasting blood glucose level was 116 mg/dl and postprandial blood glucose level ...  Read Full »

Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now