Q. How to control blood sugar level in a 80-year-old male under medication?

Dr. Zulfiqar Ahmed
This is a premium question & answer published on May 17, 2022 and last reviewed on: May 18, 2022

My 80-year-old father has been diabetic for the past 30 years and hypertensive for the past five years. He has had bypass surgery and a stroke in the past. His fasting blood sugar has been in the range of 175 mg/dL to 200 mg/dL for the last two weeks. After breakfast, it comes in the range of 200 mg/dL to 250 mg/dL. His last HBA1c was 8.9 mmol/mol. Because of COVID, we have not tested recently. His current medication includes Mixtard Insulin 30/70 50 units in the morning and 13 units at night, Glycomet GP2 two times, Linagliptin 5 mg once in the morning, tablet Fibator 10 mg once at night, Telma-CT 12.5 once in the morning, capsule Dynapres 0.4 once at night, capsule Arreno twice, tablet Ecosprin 75 once in the morning, tablet Thyronorm 25 mg one tablet from Monday to Thursday and two tablets from Friday to Sunday, Capsule Uprise once a month.

#

I read your query and understand your concern.

I have the following suggestions for your father-

1. He can increase Mixtard to three units in the morning and two units at night. Considering his age and previous history of ischemic heart disease, his HBA1c (hemoglobin A1C), fasting, and postprandial blood sugar targets should be relaxed because of the danger of hypoglycemia.

2. He must check his blood sugar levels more often.

3. You must try to concentrate more on his dietary habits and decrease his carbohydrate intake like sugary drinks, sugar, grains, etc.

4. He should take more vegetables and fewer fruits.

|