Q. There is a skin-colored bump on the arch in front of my tonsil. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

There is a skin-colored bump on the arch in front of my tonsil. There seem to be others on the other side of my mouth, but this one is inflamed. I also have acid reflux and a lot of post nasal drips over the past few months.

Please help.

#

Thanks for the query.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from a skin-colored bump on the arch in front of your tonsil and another inflamed bump on your other tonsil.

According to the pictures that are provided here (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity), you may be suffering from a peritonsillar abscess which is a pus-filled sack or bump forming near the tonsil. The peritonsillar abscess is usually caused by bacterial infection. Strep throat, untreated tonsillitis may also cause a peritonsillar abscess. Again viral infection like infectious mononucleosis may also cause a peritonsillar abscess.

The peritonsillar abscess may present with fever, sore throat, difficulties in swallowing, difficultly opening the mouth, swollen glands in the throat, jaw, or another part, headache, earache, etc.

So, it is important to know whether you have such type clinical features or not.

You can undergo some investigations like throat culture, CT, or MRI for visualizing the bump and tonsil more closely, FNAC from the bump to detect the presence of pus, etc., will help to find out the exact cause for your present sufferings and then treat them accordingly.

Antibiotics are needed for subsiding the inflammation or infection along with antihistamines and Acetaminophen or Paracetamol.

Brush your teeth twice daily to maintain oral hygiene and gargle with salt mixed with lukewarm water three times daily. I hope it will work.

Take care. In case of any other query, ask me.

|