Q. I am a diabetic with swollen and discolored foot. Why does it happen?

Dr. Prabhakaran Selvam
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2020

My left foot is swollen with purple color and pain. I am currently on Diamicron 60 mg and Xelevia 100 mg.

#

With history, I feel you have left foot cellulitis. It is the infection on the foot. You might need heavy antibiotics for the infection. Is warmth present on the wound? Any pus discharge from the area? Kindly update these details and also the picture of the purple color. And also I would like to know what is your sugars levels in present condition?

My sugar levels before breakfast is 160 mg/dL.

#

I saw the picture. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is cellulitis and you need antibiotics. Before that your sugars are high. You need to control your sugar levels. Fasting sugar level of 160mg/dL is quite high. Just stop Diamicron 60 and get the tablet that I am prescribing.

Take tablet Linid (Linezolid) 600 mg 1-0-1 for five days, Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) 1-0-0 for five days, Astymin forte (amino acids and vitamin) 1-0-0 for 10 days, Glykind M 80 (Gliclazide and Metformin) 1-0-1 (before food). Fourth tablet is for diabetes, stop Diamicron, and take this tablet.

Kindly recheck your sugars in five days and kindly get back after five days for both sugar and your leg issues. Continue antibiotics. If the problem persists even after five days, we will change the antibiotics.

| 

What are the causes for headaches and swollen feet?

Query: Hello doctor, I am wondering if anyone would know what is wrong or what other tests can be done. My ANA is 1:360, TSH is 0.5, free and total, T3 and T4 are normal. SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus) is negative, Sjorgen's is negative, and thyroid ultrasound is normal. Symptoms experienced are extrem...  Read Full »

I have RA and suffering from swollen feet and unbearable pain. Should I got to an ER?

Query: Hello doctor, I have RA and have been on prednisone for 15 years or more. I was tapered off with the last dose taken five months before. I now can barely walk, my pain is unbearable, and my right leg and foot are swollen. I have tried every OVC pain medication possible, and nothing is working. What...  Read Full »

What do you recommend for my father's cellulitis leg?

Query: Hi doctor,My father got a wound in his leg in a small accident. He is a diabetic and because of this reason, cellulitis has occurred in his leg. We took a treatment for that, but the treatment is somewhat doubtful to us. He is on Distaclor CD 375 and Debridase ointment. Please give us a suggestion.  Read Full »

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask a Diabetologist Now