Q. Can imbalance occur due to cervical spondylosis?

Dr. Mohan Krishna
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2021

I am a 45 year old male. My height is 184 cm and weight is 97 kg. I had a cervical spine x-ray and was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis. I also have mild CAD and severe sleep apnea.

Due to intermittent chest pain and breathlessness on exertion, CAD was suspected. After positive TMT, I had an angiogram. The angiogram found many minor blocks and no major blocks. The diagnosis was minor coronary atherosclerotic disease and systemic hypertension. The treatment is by medical management.

I have been feeling a constriction in my neck (tightness) exactly in the throat region while walking. This happens only while walking and goes away as soon as I stop. I have been advised to consult an orthopaedician to see if the neck constriction while walking can be due to spondylosis. I occasionally have lower back pain and numbness in hand (palm) and also weak hand grip.

Some months back I felt significantly light-headed and had difficulty in balancing. After some tests, I was diagnosed with uncompensated vestibular lesion. After some medication, it improved a bit. Now again I find the lightheadedness and balancing issues i.e, I feel as though I may faint but actually not.

My queries are:

• Can the tightness in neck while walking be due to cervical spondylosis?
  • Can the lightheadedness and balancing issues be due to the same?
  • I would like to know the severity of the spondylosis from the attached reports and scanned copy of my x-ray.
  • I was suggested to have an MRI of cervical spine. Based on the reports and symptoms do you feel the MRI is necessary?
  • I would like to know the advantage of MRI compared to x-ray findings.
  • What would be the likely course of treatment for my condition?

#

Tightness and neck pain can be due to cervical spondylosis.

The lightheadedness and balancing issues can also occur due to spondylosis.

Spondylosis is not so severe on x-ray (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is of mild grade.

If your hand grip is weak, it is better to get an MRI to see for any nerve compression.

For treatment initially take some analgesics and anti-inflammatory with nerve stimulating drugs.

MRI cervical spine

Revert back with the MRI report to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Thank you for your prompt response. I have few more doubts to get clarified.

• Can mild spondylosis cause balancing issue and lightheadedness?
  • Is vestibular lesion/dysfunction related to cervical spondylosis?
  • Will there be any likely future repercussions of ignoring the spondylosis for now?

#

• Mild spondylosis does not cause balancing issues, but it can cause slight neck pain and headache. If you are with vestibular dysfunction and symptoms of vertigo (lightheadedness and dizziness) it is better you get physically examined by an ENT surgeon.
  • Spondylosis is age related wear and tear of joints of spine. It can worsen with age.
  • Try to cope up with regular neck exercises and proper neck care. If not responding to basic line of treatment we need to get an MRI to further grade the spondylosis.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->  https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|