Q. I have been having chest discomfort. What could it be?

Dr. Amit Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 26, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 31year old male. I was recently diagnosed with minor gastritis after EGD. I was having stomach problems but have recovered at present. Last two weeks I have been having some chest discomfort. ECG and other tests show normal heart function. Since two days, the chest sensations are more prominent mostly while moving. Please help.

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

Since you have mentioned that ECG and other tests came out to be normal, it is not associated with any cardiac abnormality.

As you have a history of gastritis confirmed through EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy), there is more possibility of association with acid reflux.

Acid causes irritation of esophagus and leads to inhibition of vagal tone (vagus nerve supply to the heart) resulting in increased heart rate.

This in turn leads to palpitation, chest discomfort, burning sensation etc. 

I advise you to follow these:

• Do not consume spicy food, tea, coffee and alcohol.
  • Avoid smoking. 
  • Consume water 5-10 minutes after the meal.
  • Do not lie down or sit immediately after meals, rather take a small walk inside the room.
  • Take capsule Omeprazole + Domperidone once daily on an empty stomach. 

Another possibility is that you could have some muscle spasm/pull if this sensation is pain.

If there is pain during movement of chest then you can take some muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxazone in combination with some pain killer.

The word chest discomfort indicates that it could be palpitation (feeling of one's own heart beat which usually occurs when the heart rate increases), tightness in the chest, burning sensation or chest pain.

If the discomfort persists, revert back with details like dietary habits, blood pressure and medical reports to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|