Q. I have been having chest discomfort. What could it be?

Answered by
Dr. Amit Arora
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Aug 26, 2014 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018


I am a 31year old male. I was recently diagnosed with minor gastritis after EGD. I was having stomach problems but have recovered at present. Last two weeks I have been having some chest discomfort. ECG and other tests show normal heart function. Since two days, the chest sensations are more prominent mostly while moving. Please help.

Dr. Amit Arora



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Since you have mentioned that ECG and other tests came out to be normal, it is not associated with any cardiac abnormality.

As you have a history of gastritis confirmed through EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy), there is more possibility of association with acid reflux.

Acid causes irritation of esophagus and leads to inhibition of vagal tone (vagus nerve supply to the heart) resulting in increased heart rate.

This in turn leads to palpitation, chest discomfort, burning sensation etc. 

I advise you to follow these:

  • Do not consume spicy food, tea, coffee and alcohol.
  • Avoid smoking. 
  • Consume water 5-10 minutes after the meal.
  • Do not lie down or sit immediately after meals, rather take a small walk inside the room.
  • Take capsule Omeprazole + Domperidone once daily on an empty stomach. 

Another possibility is that you could have some muscle spasm/pull if this sensation is pain.

If there is pain during movement of chest then you can take some muscle relaxant like Chlorzoxazone in combination with some pain killer.

The word chest discomfort indicates that it could be palpitation (feeling of one's own heart beat which usually occurs when the heart rate increases), tightness in the chest, burning sensation or chest pain.

If the discomfort persists, revert back with details like dietary habits, blood pressure and medical reports to a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

How can I cure muscle spasms and pain in back, neck and leg?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 41-year-old male. I have been experiencing muscle spasms and pain in the back, neck, and leg since 10 years intermittently. I am currently undergoing physical therapy and chiropractic. However, I wanted to consult from a naturopathic perspective on what can be the root cause of...  Read Full »

How to treat my upper back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, While sitting on a sofa, I was completely relaxed, and my body was lying unbalanced against it. Suddenly, I felt some pain that started in the upper back area. But it did not disappear even after I got up and did a lot of body straightening and stretching. It was minor. Particularly in ...  Read Full »

Why does my pain radiate from back to thigh?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 28 year old woman. I am suffering from a radiating pain that spreads from back to the lower half of the body. I have this issue since a year. It aggravates when I ride bike. Occasionally, the pain may also radiate upward. If I keep hard item then I get some relief. I am takin...  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cardiologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.