Chronic Prostatitis

Chronic prostatitis is a persistent inflammation of the prostate gland which develops gradually and lasts for more than three months. The symptoms of chronic prostatitis include an urge to urinate, pain while urinating, pain in the lower back, rectum, penis, or testicles. Chronic prostatitis is treated depending on the underlying cause.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why do I have to manually press behind by testes to completely empty the urinary tract?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 40-year-old caucasian male. My height is 5 feet 11 inches, and my weight is 220 lbs (pounds). I have a urinary problem that started two to three years ago and has become more noticeable over the last one to two years. I have to press behind the testes to empty the urinary tract ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to Thank you for consulting us. You have chronic prostatitis, an inflammation of the prostate gland. I suggest you follow the below treatment plan: Capsule Tamsulosin 0.4 mg (Tamsulosin Hydrochloride) one capsule before bed for a month. Tablet Ciprofloxacin 500 mg (...  Read Full »

I have resolved epididymitis, but the constant urge to urinate persists even after medications. Kindly help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had epididymitis. All other infections, including STD (sexually transmitted disease), are negative. I had two rounds of antibiotics, and the symptoms were not alleviated. Epididymitis eventually passed. However, a constant urge to urinate presented. Testicles and prostate scan are no...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello. Welcome to This is a typical presentation of prostatitis. Although all tests are normal and the prostate could appear well on ultrasound, it can still be inflammation and not necessarily an infection of the prostate. Therefore, treatment usually is by prolonged antibiotics. I sug...  Read Full »

Is the burning sensation in my penis and left foot region indicative of penile cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling a burning sensation in my penis, especially in the top area. It feels inside the penis. Sometimes I also notice my left foot under my feet burns too. Also, I did my STD test, and it came out negative. The last time I had intercourse was almost three years ago. I did...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to This is unlikely to be an infection. It is only inflammation, which can be due to allergy, especially at the tip of the penis. So, you need to use a mild soap like baby soap and not apply any lubricant on the penis. If this did not work, you need to be examined for pros...  Read Full »

Is my penile head dry, sensitive, inflamed, and burning due to unprotected sex?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been dealing with what I thought was a UTI for three months. It started with a fever and got worse one month back. I rubbed my genitals with a transgender girl and used her semen to masturbate until I cummed. We did not have sex. She did give me oral sex. I got prescribed Ciproflox...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to I understand your concern. To me, those symptoms seem to be chronic prostatitis, and it has two types, one is with bacterial infection, and the other is without infection. Diagnosis is by semen culture, which is done in any laboratory. If it is positive bacteria, then I s...  Read Full »

Why am I not able to empty my bladder completely for the last three months?

Query: Hi doctor,I am in my mid-twenties and I have had frequent urination problems for the last three months. I am not able to figure out the exact cause. I have consulted multiple doctors, and each of them is telling me different things. I am not sure which one to follow. One doctor had prescribed me OAB...  Read Full »

Dr. Saurabh Subhash Pandya

Answer: Hi,Welcome to symptoms appear to be prostatitis. Usually, a 30 to 45 days course of medications will help. Most investigations turn out to be normal in this condition.I will add some medications to the tablet Alfuzosin, and I would review your condition after 15 days.  Read Full »

Is it essential to get a PCR test done for chronic prostatitis?

Query: Hi doctor, We spoke yesterday regarding my chronic pelvic pain condition. I would be doing both urine and semen culture soon. Is there any specific culture or PCR testing to be done? The reason I am asking this is that the traditional dipstick and culture test does not seem to be accurate based ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome back to The method varies, and the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) is accurate when there are atypical bacteria like TB (tuberculosis), for example. Your urine microscopic analysis showed no bacteria. The thing I am trying to get is the sample that contains the organis...  Read Full »

How to resolve the pain and discomfort faced during ejaculation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a discomfort and mild pain during ejaculation. I was diagnosed as having chronic prostatitis with seminal vesiculitis, and I was put on Quinolones for three months and an alpha-blocker (Alfuzosin) for five months. The urinary symptoms completely resolved, but discomfort and...  Read Full »

Dr. Devendra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to As your urinary symptoms have resolved, and pain during ejaculation is localized to the inguinal region, it is very likely to be a muscular pain of the cremaster. This muscle suspends the testis, and contracts during ejaculation, more strongly in young men. Tthe pain...  Read Full »

What causes pain at the end of urination?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having pain at the end of urination, but the pain is not excruciating. Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to The pain at the end of urination is likely due to inflammation of the prostate. Chronic inflammation of the prostate can happen at a young age and presents symptoms like pain at the base of the penis or area between testis and anus, pain at the end of urination, or burn...  Read Full »

Why does my semen look greenish?

Query: Hello doctor, For the past few weeks, I noticed I have been ejaculating greenish semen. I have a stinging feeling on the head of my penis. I have tested negative for urinary tract infection, sexually transmitted diseases, and prostate infections twice now. I have an issue with getting an appointmen...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hello, Welcome to The description you gave is associated with chronic prostatitis, and it is usually required proper diagnosis for the bacteria causing it to provide appropriate treatment. For diagnosis, you need semen for culture to decide on antibiotics as treatment. The most common...  Read Full »

Are my symptoms of frequent urination and irritation in the penis due to chronic prostatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, A few months back, I had to use the bathroom at a friends house, and it was dark. After I used the bathroom and stood up, I used a flashlight, liquid fecal matter had dried all around the bowl, and my penis directly contacted it. A couple of weeks after I had an onset of frequent urin...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer Samer Juma Ali Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to Thanks for consulting us. You are absolutely right about the chronic prostatitis diagnosis. This condition is present with recurrent symptoms of burning urination and perineal pain or deep pain or discomfort in the pelvis. Usually, symptoms appear and then disappear f...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.