Q. My ears are blocked with pain and discomfort and ear drops did not help. Why?

Dr. Syed Tehmid
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

My ear has been blocked for the past three days. There are mild pain and discomfort. This could have been caused because of the earbud. I used Ciplox ear drops and have tried Crocin pain relief, but it does not help. Ear feels extremely uncomfortable, and hearing is muffled. Please suggest some anti-inflammatory antibiotics as I am unable to visit a doctor because of the COVID-19 situation.

#

It does not necessarily have to be due to earbuds causing otitis externa though that could be one possibility. There are others also. Can you tell me if you had a cold recently? Does it feel like there is a fluid inside the ear? Do you feel like you need to pop your ears? Is there any throat irritation? How severe is the earache? It could be secondary to middle ear infection also.

Thanks for responding. No, I have not had a cold or throat irritation. It does not feel like there is any fluid in the ear. Yes, I do feel like popping the ears, but it is not happening. The ear has been feeling blocked for three days. The earache is not very severe, the pain is about 5 out of 10, and it comes and goes. There is more discomfort due to the blocked feeling.

#

It could also be wax that might have been pushed into the ear blocking tympanic membrane and consequent fullness. I would suggest continuing with ear drops. Take some antibiotics like Cefpodoxime 200 twice a day for five days and an antihistaminic like Montair LC (combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast) 1 tablet at bed time for five days. Since there is the eustachian tube opening edema and blockade, try Decongestant nasal drops like Otrivin 3 drops thrice a day. Let us see how it responds. Also, try analgesics like Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac + Paracetamol + Serratiopeptidase) only when required. Try middle ear equalization maneuvers like Valsalva maneuver.

|