Q. Is it mandatory to take medicine for diabetes while controlling it through walk and diet?

Dr. Qazi Mujahid Ali
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I was feeling angry and very consistent in the urine. I decided to check my blood sugar level. I was in fasting regularly. Meanwhile, I was under extreme stress pressure due to my job problems, I consulted with the doctor and checked the blood sugar level, and it was 391 with fasting which was shocking to me, then I tried some precaution and avoided to take tension and food which is generally known bad for people with diabetes. After four days I rechecked my blood sugar, it was 246, and the third time it was reduced to 194.

After this doctor suggests me Hb1ac test and the value was 14.9 against 4.4 normal amount, and he gave me some tables which made me in trouble with an extremely high gastric issue which I stopped to intake immediately. After that I decided not to take the medicine and try to control it with natural way, i.e., walking or jogging, avoid taking tension and diet control, now I feel healthy, and my blood sugar is between 100 to 130 which I am regularly checking since last 10 days.

Meanwhile I consulted with a lot of doctors for treatment or getting right knowledge about type 2 diabetes in order take some right decision for treatment, but still I am confused because all doctors have difference in opinion which made me more confused, some are saying I should start tablets immediately, a doctor said I must start insulin otherwise I may have some serious issue with kidney, some are reporting insulin is last stage treatment etc. in my opinion they all are thinking according to their studies, and no one is taking care of my opinion i.e., my blood sugar was high at my worst time once I understand that I facing issues regarding blood sugar and started preventions it is under control somewhat, now my question is what should I do, if my diabetes is under control with walk or diet control should i take medicine or insulin. Please help and guide accordingly.

Do you have a question on Control Diabetes or Hba1c?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Qazi Mujahid Ali

POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN DIABETES
Diabetology

Your test of HbA1c is too high. It is good that you have controlled your sugar with diet and exercise. But you should take some safe medication. But to control your sugar, you need some more lab test. Now you can start a formula of Sitagliptin and Metformin 50/500 one tablet between breakfast and second tablet between dinner. I advise a few tests before breakfast.

1. Lipids profile.

2. Serum creatinine.

3. FBS.

4. Urine for D/R.

And avoid deep fried and spicy food. Your complete treatment depends on the test mentioned above.

Also Read Answers From: Control Diabetes Hba1c Diabetic Diet

Can a diabetic patient have brown rice?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 38 year old male. My height is 6 feet height and weight is 90 kg. I have been a hypertensive for the past ten years. My fasting sugar generally comes in the range of 100 to 130; PP 140 to 170 and A1c level is 6.6. Should I start medicine for this? For hypertension I am taking Losar...  Read Full »
Dr. Divakara P

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your levels are indicating that you are diabetic. But, the values are not that high enough to start on medications. I recommend you to start diabetic diet and exercise regularly. Also, repeat your fasting blood sugar (FBS), postprandial blood sugar (PPBS), and Hb...  Read Full »

High HbA1c in a pregnant woman. Please suggest what has to be done.
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25-year-old lady about 6 to 7 weeks pregnant. My HbA1c is 12. What should I do?  Read Full »
Dr. Uzma Arqam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. According to diabetes guidelines, the patient should have strict diabetic control pre-pregnancy. It is better to have a strict diabetic diet and sugar levels within the normal range and have HbA1c less than 6. Frankly speaking, I feel that during conception, less than 6...  Read Full »

My HbA1c is 7.5. Should I continue my tablet for diabetes?
Query: Hello doctor, I am a 52 year old female. One year before I went to a diabetologist and took glucose tolerance test. Here is the result, fasting - 128 mg/dL, 1 hour - 340 mg/dL, 2 hour - 196 mg/dL. Doctor prescribed medicine for a month but after that I did not take any medication. Now I would...  Read Full »
Dr. Ankush Gupta
Diabetologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. As you have mentioned that took medicine for a month, still your HbA1c - glycated hemoglobin is 7.5 (attachment removed to protect patient identity). This is little high. The target of HbA1c should be less than 7. So, I would suggest you to continue with tablet Glycipha...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now