Q. Will CMV cause symptoms like numbness, tremors in hands and eye floaters?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I have occasional needle pin in hands and numbness. Mild itchy rash on nose and both upper shoulders (still there and barely visible). I also have slight hand tremors, increased permanent floaters in both eyes. I have CMV IgG 55 (recent infection). All STD, HIV, hepatitis, EBV, and HSV 1 and 2 are negative. Could CMV cause all these in an immunocompetent person?

Ophthalmologist said that my eyes are perfect after an examination. Neurologist did a nerve conductivity test and said all reports normal. Infection specialist did western blot for HIV 1 and 2 at 16 weeks after symptoms started and said it is negative. HIV combo antibody and antigen also negative. If it is CMV, what is the treatment?

#

Answer to your queries are:

CMV IgG positivity indicates past infection. The exposure to CMV (cytomegalovirus) might have been there some weeks to years earlier. CMV is common in general infection and up to 60% are IgG positive. Sero- positivity percentage increases with age. Treatment for CMV is not given based on CMV IgG positivity. I suggest you to get following to rule out active CMV infection:

1. pp65 antigen.

2. ELISA CMV IgM.

3. CMV quantitative test.

4. Repeat your CMV IgG titers at least after six weeks of the above tests.

I suggest you to do thyroid profile, serum vitamin B12, and D3 tests. You can send pictures of your rashes for further assessment.

| 

What is the cut-off value for ELISA test?

Query: Hello doctor, I have some queries about HIV, ELISA/ECLIA TEST. What is the cut-off for this test? In some lab reports, they do not mention the cut off rate. They just mention if it is reactive or non-reactive. In some labs, 0.9 is the cut off while in others, it is different. Why is it so?  Read Full »

My HSV 1 IgG value is 49.20. Does it mean the infection is a recent one?

Query: Hello doctor, I took an STD panel test and got a positive result for HSV-1 IgG Ab test. My result was 49.20, but the reference range was 0.91 for negative and anything over 1.09 as positive. Does my 49.20 mean the infection is a very recent one because it is so high? I am confused about why it is s...  Read Full »

Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for my hepatitis B?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with hepatitis B about a year and a half ago. Can I take Tenofovir or Entecavir for it? Are there any antiviral prescriptions for me? The associated symptoms are extreme fatigue and dizziness.  Read Full »

What should I take to relieve Flagyl induced constipation?
Hello doctor, I am a 29-year-old female. I am trying to overcome constipation caused by the Flagyl antibiotic, and I do...  Read more»
How long should my dad continue the same dosage of medicines after a stent surgery?
Hello doctor, My father had a heart stent operation six months ago. Doctor prescribed some medicines, and still, he is u...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now