Q. I do not have interest in anything in life and feel empty. Why?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

My problem is I am running low on energy since I wakeup. No interest in anything. I cannot enjoy anything even if that is supposed to make me happy. I cannot concentrate on anything. If I read something, I lose my concentration in less than a minute time. I do not feel like do anything like going to job. One of my friends said it might be Vitamin D deficiency and I started consuming Vitamin D tablets since two months ago but no difference.

#

I can understand that having these troublesome symptoms can be difficult. Your blood tests appear to be within the acceptable range (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Taking Vitamin D supplement is a good idea as well.

If your symptoms are persistent and if there are no physical health problems, then they are probably indicative of emotional difficulties like stress and depression. How is your mood? Has there been problems with low mood? It will help to have an open talk with a trusted family member /friend about any thoughts bothering you.

Follow these lifestyle interventions to make you feel better and healthy.

1) Regular exercise- Exercise is the best mood regulator. Even a brisk walk of 10-15 minutes when you are feeling tired can paradoxically restore your energy.

2) Adequate sleep and healthy eating are important. Discuss with your work to see if you can avoid night shifts for some months to have a steady sleep pattern.

3) Listening to music helps to reduce tension and increase energy.

4) Try yoga, deep breathing, and muscle relaxation exercises.

If problems persist, psychiatry consultation will be helpful for a thorough assessment and plan treatment accordingly. Usually, counseling will be helpful. Sometimes medication may be needed.

| 
1 out of 1 likes