Q. My father is an alcoholic and I am depressed with his behavior. Please help me.

Answered by
Dr. Awadhesh P. Singh Solanki
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 05, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am studying final year petroleum engineering. Nowadays, I do not know what is going on in my life. I was a topper during school days, and at hat time I was in my grandparent's home. When I moved to class 9, I came back to my parents. My father uses to drink a lot. He uses to get home drinking and scold us. It affected my studies a lot, and my grades start to collapse. Now in my college, it became too worst. Today, I had a big quarrel with my father. I was depressed and got suicidal thoughts. I do not know how to control these thoughts. Unknowingly, I even reached a knife today. Soon I realized and came back. I know that I cannot change my dad. Also, I do not want to end up my life. Everyone is expecting more from me. Please help me on how to get rid of these thoughts. My brain is bursting with all these.



Welcome to

  • I can understand your situation. The family conflicts may lead to sad life and poor grades in exams.
  • In my opinion, it will be best if you will communicate with your dad regarding this issue. If he still does not understand, then try to avoid him.
  • You are young. Try to concentrate on your studies as this is the crucial time for your career. I know it is tough to focus in such a difficult home environment.
  • I will suggest you visit a nearby psychiatrist for counseling and some medication if required for the early recovery.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
What makes me getting suicidal thoughts and avoid marriage?

Anxiety, guilt feelings, pessimistic thoughts, if you feel that you also have these symptoms, then it is likely to be a major depressive disorder ...   Read full

I am a teenager and I feel my parents hate me. What should I do?

Your parents need family therapy from a psychologist ...   Read full

Am I at risk of having a baby with trisomy?

Family history is also a factor if you have a family history of congenital anomaly ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Missed Miscarriage - An Overview
Sometimes a miscarriage occurs without knowledge, as typical signs may be absent. This is called a missed miscarriage. L...  Read more»
H3N2v Influenza - Treatment and Prevention
Management and prevention of an Influenza A virus variant include various treatment options and measures. The below arti...  Read more»
Flu A - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
The flu, or influenza, is a contagious viral infection that attacks the respiratory system. Flu A and B viruses are resp...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.