Q. I am a diabetic and feel very tired. Please suggest me tests.

Dr. Ankush Gupta

I am a 70 year old lady. Over 10 years, I am diabetic. My fasting sugar is 160 and PP 200. I do not have any other complications. I am feeling tired due to insufficient blood. I am having heart palpitations on and off due to insufficient blood. Currently, I am taking Voglinorm 0.3, Jalra 50 mg and Gemer 2 mg once a day. I am attaching my laboratory test results for your reference. Kindly suggest medicines or tests to find out the weakness.

#

I had a look at your test reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• First of all congratulations for maintaining your body weight and keeping the blood sugar under control. As I always say if you can control your weight and diet, then you can control your sugar too.
  • Fasting blood sugar (FBS) is high which should be around 100 and postprandial (PP) is fine. You need to tell me the HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) level whether it is really controlled or not.
  • As you said you are controlling well on oral medications and have no other complications except weakness and palpitations which is very common in diabetics.
  • You need to make sure there are no hypoglycemic episodes which also cause weakness. If that is the cause for your weakness, you can confirm it by doing regular sugar tests at home with glucometer. In that case dose of the drugs need to be changed after consulting your physician. 
  • Weakness can be caused by anemia which can be corrected by taking an injection of vitamin B12 once in six months and oral Iron tablets regularly.

As a diabetic you need to take care of certain issues:

1. Take care of your feet by checking your feet every day.
  2. Do an eye checkup once in every six months.
  3. Do regular blood tests such as serum creatinine, urea, FBS, HbA1c level, random glucose testing (RBS) and electrocardiogram (ECG).
  4. Make sure you visit your physician regularly.
  5. It is must to get the Influenza and Pneumococcal vaccination and its booster.

For further information consult a diabetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/diabetologist

|