Q. I have diarrhea after eating spicy food. Please help.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
Published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

A few days back, I ate lots of green chili pakoras with green chutney. I am not really used to such pakoras but, I ended up eating them anyway. From the next day, I started feeling a burning sensation inside the stomach and, then started the loose motions. I have been to the loo nearly 10 times. I drank a lot of water to overcome the water loss. But, the loose motions continued. So, I took Norflox TZ the next day at 3 AM. The day after that, I took another Norflox after lunch at 1 PM. That kind of fixed the issue. Now, everything seems well, except my poop is still not normal. I feel a temporary pain at the right lower stomach although it is less frequent now. So, is it normal to have these? How much time does it take to recover fully from such loose motions? Those chilis did mess up bad. Also, what should I avoid eating for now?

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli

#

I read your query and understood your concern.

• Your symptoms are suggestive of indigestion and acute gastritis, which causes a constant discomfort or a burning sensation in your stomach.
  • The duration of diarrhea can vary. Once the underlying cause is treated, subsequently the loose stools will get controlled.
  • I suggest you continue with the Norflox (Norfloxacin) for a five days duration, along with Redotil (Racecadotril) tablet which is used to control your bowel movements, solidify the stools, and prevent excessive water loss through the stools.
  • You can also take tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once daily, early in the morning for acute gastritis.
  • It is better to avoid heavy and spicy food as well as coffee, tea, and alcohol.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full >>

Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through your query. There are no drug interactions between Pantoprozole and Diclofenac (Voltaren). In fact, anyone who takes painkillers like Diclofenac has to take Pantoprazole to prevent Diclofenac-induced gastritis. So, relax and take the regular dose of Pa...  Read Full

Is Pantoprazole allergy something to be concerned about?

Query: Hello doctor, I had indigestion problems last month and I was given a Pan 40 injection in a 24/7 hospital in my locality. The moment I was given the injection, my body developed rashes, redness, and itching. My doctor immediately gave Avil injection after which rashes and redness subsided. Two days...  Read Full >>

Dr. Salah Saad Shoman

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns but yes Pantoprazole allergy is a permanent condition that you will need to report to any doctor you visit before prescribing medications. Also, this allergy is nothing to worry about as long as you av...  Read Full

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For antral gastritis take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before food for a month. It will control acidity and reflux. Excessive hunger is good for you as your weight is normal and it is also good for stomach. Just rule out diabetes by doing fasting blo...  Read Full