Q. I have diarrhea after eating spicy food. Please help.

Dr. Saravan Pramod Settipalli
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 06, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 31, 2019

A few days back, I ate lots of green chili pakoras with green chutney. I am not really used to such pakoras but, I ended up eating them anyway. From the next day, I started feeling a burning sensation inside the stomach and, then started the loose motions. I have been to the loo nearly 10 times. I drank a lot of water to overcome the water loss. But, the loose motions continued. So, I took Norflox TZ the next day at 3 AM. The day after that, I took another Norflox after lunch at 1 PM. That kind of fixed the issue. Now, everything seems well, except my poop is still not normal. I feel a temporary pain at the right lower stomach although it is less frequent now. So, is it normal to have these? How much time does it take to recover fully from such loose motions? Those chilis did mess up bad. Also, what should I avoid eating for now?

#

I read your query and understood your concern.

• Your symptoms are suggestive of indigestion and acute gastritis, which causes a constant discomfort or a burning sensation in your stomach.
  • The duration of diarrhea can vary. Once the underlying cause is treated, subsequently the loose stools will get controlled.
  • I suggest you continue with the Norflox (Norfloxacin) for a five days duration, along with Redotil (Racecadotril) tablet which is used to control your bowel movements, solidify the stools, and prevent excessive water loss through the stools.
  • You can also take tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 mg once daily, early in the morning for acute gastritis.
  • It is better to avoid heavy and spicy food as well as coffee, tea, and alcohol.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|