Q. Doppler shows reduced end-diastolic flow with fetoplacental insufficiency at 31 weeks. Is this normal?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 09, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am at 31 weeks of pregnancy, post IVF FET pregnancy with GDM. I am on tablet Metformin SR 1 gm HS, and my BP is 136/90 mmHg. I underwent a growth scan with Doppler on 29 August, and the report shows reduced end diastolic flow with fetoplacental insufficiency. I consulted a gynecologist. He said the report is fine, not bad, just undergo a weekly Doppler.

My queries are, is the report really acceptable? Is the growth of baby normal? What will be the future course of action?

#

I have gone through the report you attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity), and understand your concern. As per the report, the growth of your baby is fine. So please do not worry much. However, the blood flow to the baby is somewhat reduced but not compromised. That is what is the reduced end-diastolic flow. So you need to get a repeat scan to monitor the blood flow to the baby. Any time the flow get compromised, your doctor will decide to deliver the baby. As of now, as things are good, attempts are being made to continue the pregnancy so that baby gets mature enough to survive well once delivered.

Do continue all your medications as advised by your doctor.

Check your BP (blood pressure) and urine dipstick for proteins every week when you go for the check-ups.

Report to your doctor in case you experience any headache, nausea, vomiting, blurring of vision, or severe upper abdominal pain.

Do daily fetal movements count charting (after each major meal (3), lie down on one side for an hour and note down the number of times the baby moves or kicks. The sum total of these hour in a day should be 10 or more normally.

If not done recently. Urine routine (glucose and albumin). 24 hours urine protein. FBS (fasting blood sugar) PPBS (post prandial blood sugar). LFT (liver function test), RFT (renal function test). Serum uric acid. Hemogram.

Strict diabetic diet.

|