Q. I have tinnitus and it does not subside on antibiotics. Why?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 10, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jun 25, 2020

I have an ear infection on my right ear for the past one week. So my doctor prescribes me some antibiotics Amoxicillin with Prednisolone. But my tinnitus did not go away. How long will it take for the tinnitus to go away if there is no pain in my ear?

Dr. B Vageesh Padiyar

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

The answer to your question entirely depends on how you developed the ear infection in the first place. In general, until the eardrum heals you will be having weird noises, tinnitus, and ear discomfort due to interference with sound transmission and processing.

If the ear infection has happened secondary to recurrent allergy or cold, then you will have probably developed a eustachian tube catarrh due to which the fluid is still present in the middle ear causing the tinnitus and will take around two months approximately in toto for tinnitus to resolve.

If the ear infection has occurred due to trauma (by earbuds etc), the tinnitus will take approximately four to six weeks, as this the average time it takes to heal the ear drum.

I am sure you fall into one of the two possibilities mentioned above. There is absolutely nothing that you need to worry about as this usually takes a while for things to normalize.

At the same time make sure there are no triggering factors out there. Some one they include use of earphones, headphones, exposure to loud sounds, consumption of alcohol, smoking, stress, etc. Try to maintain a healthy lifestyle as much as possible and do not think too much about the tinnitus nor try to Google about it too much.

| 

My tinnitus has worsened. What is my chance of recovery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion. I got tinnitus from loud noise three weeks ago. Most of the time the noise is constant 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Yesterday morning I experienced my best day as the noise seemed to reduce to a 2. However, it went back up to a 3 and 4 again yesterd...  Read Full »

I got ear infection after over masturbation. Will it get cured?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 29 year old male. I have tinnitus for the last two weeks. I am taking tablets, but there is no improvement. I do not know the cause. The doctor, whom I visited, said that my nose hole is rooted in such a way that my ear gets infection like that. Also, my ear has pus inside. I think...  Read Full »

What to do for inner ear infection, sinusitis and vertigo?

Query: Hello doctor, I think I have an inner ear infection. I went to the doctor last year and he asked me about my symptoms. I told him and he said I had a viral thing in which he gave me antibiotics to take which I did not take. When I got my summary it is said that I had sinusitis. Now until this day m...  Read Full »