Q. After taking antibiotics for epididymitis the swelling went but pain remained. Why?

Dr. Shahil Khant

I had epididymitis twice two years ago. I was given antibiotics both the times. The swelling went but the testicle (epididymis pain) remained. I was given more antibiotics over the next few months to no effect. I went to a urologist 12 months later and was diagnosed with prostatitis upon examination. I was offered prostate massage but said no due to a worry over the potential negative effects of the procedure. Urine and blood test came back negative for STI and bacteria. The only issue was low testosterone. I had to see a hormone doctor for the second testosterone test. He noticed some atrophy of the testicles, for which I had an ultrasound. I was then told that the testicles are of normal size and there is no sign of damage, infection, etc. Since then, the pain has worsened. The epididymis hurts when touched, and spermatic cord feels hardened. There is pain during and after urination, although there is no swelling in the scrotum or groin. I have not had most of the prostatitis symptoms for months like the frequent urination, burning scrotum, anus, etc. The pain is in the back flank mostly in the epididymis and thigh region. Could it be intermittent torsion?What antibiotics would you prescribe? If antibiotics fail, would a spermatic cord block be the way to go? Could I have infected my epididymis from my prostate through over masturbation (two times daily) and made the pain worse?

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology

• As per your history, it does not look like prostatitis. I think you may be suffering from chronic epididymitis.
  • There are many causes for chronic epididymitis like post-acute epididymitis, vas obstruction, drug-induced like Amiodarone, Tuberculous epididymitis, chlamydia epididymitis (non-culturable organism). In a majority of the cases, it is idiopathic without any cause.
  • You had almost every test done. One more test you can get done, which is semen culture and sensitivity.
  • Regarding your questions:
  1. No, it is not intermittent torsion as your symptoms are not typical of intermittent torsion.
  2. I would prescribe antibiotics based on the semen culture and sensitivity report. Empirically, I would like to give tablet Doxycycline 100 mg twice daily for four weeks. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent.
  3. Spermatic cord block is not a permanent therapy. As you are 28 years, I would not like to advise any surgical intervention as far as possible.
  4. Over-masturbation is not a cause of prostatitis or epididymitis.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

I have got allergic reaction to Doxycycline. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I had an allergic reaction to Doxycycline and broke out with hives and skin rashes. What can I do to clear it up?  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The presented photograph is not hives (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It is chronic dermatitis. It has nothing to do with Doxycycline. You need a medium potency Corticosteroid cream like Betamethasone valerate 1 % twice daily for two weeks with an anti...  Read Full

Can you interpret my semen analysis reports in layman terms?

Query: Hello doctor,Good day. My wife and I are trying to conceive and one of the tests done was a semen analysis test for me. I picked the results up from the lab, but I would not be able to see my doctor till a couple of days because of work. I am anxious and I would love an interpretation. I have attach...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The attached report (attachment removed to protect patient identity) suggests that it has normal liquefaction time, total sperm count is in the normal range and active mobile is low, volume adequate, and normal morphology is low and also has puss cell which indicates...  Read Full

Will Masturbation cause Premature Ejaculation

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 32 year old unmarried male. I am suffering from premature ejaculation. I am masturbation from 13 years od age using sex toys. I am not lasting more than two minutes. I am taking antidepressants and doing squeeze technique. But, it does not help me. Kindly suggest medicine for prema...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. First of all, I would like to tell you that masturbation is not the reason for the problem of premature ejaculation you are having. Masturbation is a safe habit, and most of the men masturbate. Diabetes increases the risk of premat...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now