Q. Is shock wave therapy a good option for erectile dysfunction?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 15, 2021 and last reviewed on: Feb 16, 2021

I am suffering from erectile dysfunction. I recently visited a sexologist and did a penile Doppler ultrasound test and ultrasound scrotum. After seeing the results, the doctor told me that I have inconsistent responses with borderline on both sides and absent reversal of diastolic flow. It is early arteriogenic insufficiency. The doctor told me that the arteries block the blood flow in the penis and due to that, I am not able to get a regular erection. The doctor suggested me to go for shock wave therapy. Is it the right method or do I need medication to cure it?

#

Erection problems can occur due to lifestyle factors like drinking alcohol, smoking, and obesity. It may also occur due to major illness or due to some medicines. It can also occur due to stress, anxiety, due to blood abnormalities for which you need to do blood tests for Hb (hemoglobin), TC (total count), DC (differential count), fasting sugar, prolactin, TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), and testosterone. Walking for half an hour a day helps you a lot. If you are in an office job, try to get up from the chair or walk for five minutes. It will help to increase circulation in the penis. A semen test and scrotum ultrasound are not necessary for erectile dysfunction. Arterial insufficiency usually does not occur at your age. Please mention whether you had an injection in the penis for the doppler study. Shock wave therapy is not a standard treatment and most often it does not help you.

I have done a blood test. I have a low testosterone level of 345.90 ng/dL and FSH of 5.97 mIU/mL, LH of 5.75 mIU/mL, prolactin of 7.24 ng/mL and my T3 is 0.90 nl/mL, T4 of 10.12 ug/dL and TSH of 3.58 IU/mL. I had an injection for a doppler study and after that, I am unable to get a proper erection. The doctor told me that I do not need any medications as the arteries are blocking the blood flow to the penis. So he suggested doing shock wave therapy. Please suggest me. Do I need shock wave therapy? Can it be cured by medicines? I am married and I am unable to have sex till now. I am getting an erection but it does not last for a longer duration to penetrate.

#

Please mention whether you have done blood sugar and lipid profile. If not, do it and some medicines can help you. I can see patients who are not successful after doing short wave therapy and they get better after taking medicines. Doing exercise can help you a lot. At your age, circulation is not a concern. Please mention whether you are able to do sex or not. If not, then it can be due to a tight vagina and you should put one finger in the vagina and rotate it gradually after a few days put two fingers and rotate it. This can be done by your partner also. It may take a few weeks and there are medicines to reduce anxiety and pain.

I am going to do a blood sugar and lipid profile tomorrow. I am a gym enthusiast and I am exercising regularly for eight years. Till now, I am not able to do sex due to a tight vagina. Before a couple of months, I have faced issues with erection and it is not lasting for a longer duration. We are involving in foreplay and do fingering with two to three fingers on a regular basis. But I am not able to retain an erection for a longer duration to penetrate through the vagina. So I visited the hospital and informed the same. I was taking medication for a month and even after consuming Sildenafil, I am unable to get a proper erection. Hence I visited the hospital and came to a conclusion to do shock wave therapy. Please help me.

#

Please mention whether you are taking any supplements in the gym. It may be the cause. Due to a tight vagina, you could not able to penetrate and this can affect your confidence, performance anxiety and it results in erectile dysfunction. This deteriorates your condition. You can have performance anxiety and so Sildenafil did not help you. You need medicine to reduce anxiety along with Sildenafil or Tadalafil. You can consult me after getting the reports of sugar and lipids. After that, I can prescribe you medicine.

I take supplements in the gym but not on a regular basis. Recently I took raw whey protein to get bulky and I am using it for fifteen days. I also use to take supplements and I never faced erectile dysfunction. But now, I am not getting a proper erection even after watching porn. Before this problem, when I see a good sexual arousal image, I use to masturbate at times. But now I am masturbating for every three to four weeks. I know that Sildenafil helps to get a proper erection. But even after taking Sildenafil, I did not get a proper erection. Please help me to tackle the problem.

#

You have wrong information regarding Sildenafil and it is not a direct erection medicine. It requires psychological stimulation without which it cannot act and the nerves in the penis require a chemical transmission from the brain after which Sildenafil or Tadalafil starts to act.

|