Q. Why do I get sharp stabbing pain inside the bone?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am unable to bear weight on my healed ankle. I had a fracture of the same ankle four years ago. This problem has been there since six months. Climbing stairs is a problem. I get pain inside my bone, sharp stabbing pain and some burning sensation. This stabbing pain stays for a week or so with no movement and goes away after a week of rest, but returns when I climb stairs (put weight on the ankle). The bone is feeling sore all the time. Please advice. The x-ray and MRI reports are normal.

#

You have mentioned that you sustained an ankle fracture around four years ago and now you have persistent symptoms in the same ankle joint.

• I actually need to know the details of your fracture and what management was done at that time. Also right now apart from pain, do you have any associated swelling? Or any other signs or symptoms of inflammation like skin redness and local warmth?
  • Have you suffered any twisting injury in the same ankle around six months ago when your symptoms started?
  • Normally what can happen is that, there can be some post-traumatic ankle arthrosis which can happen after a few years of the affected ankle injury. It can lead to pain and other associated symptoms, but you have stated that your investigations are normal.
  • Anyway, I would like to see all the investigations reports mentioned, before we can arrive at a diagnosis and prescribe you a treatment protocol.
  • Also, lastly can you tell me whether you take any medicine on a regular basis? Or have you previously taken any long-term medical treatment?

Previous injury.

1. X-rays (digital) of the affected ankle - anteroposterior and lateral views.
2. MRI of the affected ankle which you have already done.
3. Recent blood tests especially serum vitamin D and B12 levels, serum uric acid levels, erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR) and C-reactive protein (CRP).
4. A clinical picture of your affected ankle.

Will decide after relevant investigations.

Follow up with investigations to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|