Q. Can painful throat and tongue be caused due to night guard?

Dr. Basuki Nath Bhagat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I have a painful throat and tongue condition called thrush. I tried with a saltwater rinse. It is also present in the back of my throat. I had this many years ago, and I recognize its symptoms. I am embarrassed about it and hope to cure it without delay. A few weeks of tablets Fluconazole 200mg x 2 weeks would be helpful. I used to have a nightguard that might be responsible for this infection. Currently, I am taking Levoxyl (Levothyroxine) 75 mg.

#

I have read your query. I am sorry for such discomfort you are having.

You already know the diagnosis that it is oropharyngeal candidiasis.

Symptoms consist of:

• White patches on the inner cheeks, tongue, throat.

• Loss of taste.

• Pain while eating or swallowing.

• Soreness.

If you above symptoms, then it is most likely oropharyngeal candidiasis.

It is uncommon in healthy adults.

The occurrence of thrush in otherwise healthy-appearing persons should prompt an investigation that decreases immune systems like diabetes, corticosteroid use, etc.

Treatment includes topical application of antifungals.

For severe infection, tablet Fluconazole 200 mg PO (by mouth) on Day 1 followed by 100 mg PO per day for atleast two weeks to decrease the likelihood of relapse.

I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.

May I please get a prescription for the tablet Fluconazole? Kindly for telling me how to obtain a prescription through iCliniq.

#

On iCliniq, we can only suggest medicine, investigations, help diagnose the medical condition, etc. We are not allowed to prescribe as our prescription is not accepted in other countries and vice versa. Also, according to telemedicine guidelines, antifungals cannot be prescribed through chat queries. It needs video mode consultation. I hope you understand the rules.

Thanks.

|