Q. My brain MRI shows T2 hypersensitivity with headache, palpitation, and neck pain. Please help.

Dr. Penchilaprasad Kandikattu

I have been going to the doctor for several years and getting an MRI. On three occasions, I have had a brain MRI that states that I have a small T2 hyperintensity on the right petrous apex. But they keep telling me it is nothing. I have severe headaches, a feeling of fullness in my ear, a sense of heat inside my head, and severe neck pain. I have spinal stenosis, so I do not know if thats why. I was also recently diagnosed with MCTD and RA. I want to know if this is the cause of my pains or if it is just a usual incidental finding.

#

Do not worry about hyperintensity MRI (magnetic resonance imaging). It may be an accidental finding. It is not the cause of headaches.

As you told you are suffering from spinal stenosis, I want to know where it is? Is it cervical or lumbar?

In the case of cervical spinal canal stenosis may cause occipital neuralgia in which you may feel pain at the base of the skull and occipital region. Also, eustachian tube block or middle ear infection may present like ear pain heaviness in the head while bending, and even rotation of the head may cause giddiness.

Migrainous headache or tension headache may also present like this. Trigeminal neuralgia is also one of the causes of pain and burning sensation of one side of the face due to the nerve compression. MCTD (mixed connective tissue disease) may not cause the above symptoms.

Use tablet Naproxen 250 mg twice a day for five days after food (do not take if you are a pregnant woman), Pregabalin with Methylcobalamin 75/1500 once at night after food for two weeks.

Get it done anti RNP (ribonucleoprotein antibodies) levels, MRI spine to locate the stenosis, ENT examination for ear and nasal cavity, and ESR.

Please review with reports or consult your physician. He will examine and treat you accordingly.

|