Q. What is the chance of spread of hepatitis B through food contaminated with blood?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 13, 2020 and last reviewed on: May 25, 2020

Is there any chance of hepatitis B spread through eating food contaminated with infected blood?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, the whole blood and serum (white fluid within blood) contains large amount of virus, and virus can live on blood spots outside the human body for the duration of one week. So actually it depends upon how much blood, and how much time it has been on the stain that can determine the chances of acquiring infection if contaminated with food. So I guess my answer can be partially answering your query.

If you tell me the exact event I may be in a better position to tell you the figures. Otherwise, as a general rule, hepatitis B does not spread via food, having said that, it can still spread if blood contaminated food has been ingested. Since virus invades the human body when comes in close to mucosa (lining of our mouth) and then spread to blood within human. This happens in the same way as one infected person can transmit infection via kissing, hugging, sharing of a towel, spoon, plates, and so on.

If you are puzzled with all that information, I want you to simply get a blood test for hepatitis B infection. It is a simple blood test that can give us a clue.

Post-exposure risk stratification.

Hepatitis B surface antigen. Hepatitis B core total.

Follow up after testing.

| 

Is there a possibility of hepatitis B spread through eating chutney mixed with infected hepatitis B blood?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Again to be very realistic with you it is plus minus call. Dried blood does not contain as much amount of virus as that of a fresh blood sample. To summarize, yes, there are some chances of acquiring infection.

| 

Is diarrhea in a baby due to viral infection?

Query: Hi doctor, My baby is 1 year and 10 months old. Two weeks ago, she had severe diarrhea and around her thighs and around her genitals, there was inflammation. The doctor says that because diarrhea is a type of virus and inflammation of the fungus. The doctor prescribed Clotrimazole and burns ointmen...  Read Full »

I am an HBsAg carrier. Is there any treatment for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an HBsAg carrier, and I want to travel abroad for a job. I came to know about my status during a medical checkup, and after that, I got my complete blood test done. I am scared after reading about it on the internet. I have attached my test reports for your better understanding. ...  Read Full »

I think I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A and B?

Query: Hello doctor, I just got my blood results, which I have uploaded. There are two files. One is about three months old and the other one is from today. I am afraid that I have a liver damage. Should I get tested for hepatitis A, B and C? I had donated blood four months ago and that time there was no p...  Read Full »