Q. Please explain the effect of high hs-CRP?

Dr. Eriol Braholli
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 17, 2020

I have done a health checkup and I would like to get an analysis of the same. I am worried about the hs-CRP. All the reports are attached here for your reference. Please help.

#

I have read your test report carefully.

• All the indicators were perfectly in normal range, except hs-CRP (high-sensitivity C-reactive protein) that you are worried about.
  • I have to say that this marker is not specific, although they say future cardiac diseases may occur. It can be raised in every inflammatory condition in your body.
  • If you have an old inflammatory condition for example, joint and bone pain or muscle pain, hs-CRP may be increased. Also, the presence of vascular diseases such as atherosclerosis is the main cause of it.
  • Even though you have normal lipids in your test, your BMI (body mass index) is above normal.
  • Your weight is quite higher compared to the normal according to your length. This means you have to try to lower your weight. Do more physical activity and have a healthy diet with low fats and high vitamins and liquids. If you normalize your weight, I am sure that your hs-CRP will be normal.
  • Another way that has been tried to low hs-CRP is taking statins. For example Atorvastatin, drug to lower the cholesterol. But, since you do not have high blood lipids, I would recommend you the first one.
  • Do not be so worried. It is just a lifestyle issue. Take care and best wishes.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|